Red tails

JimnJanet

Songster
11 Years
Jan 29, 2008
S.W Pa.
Has anyone had any experiences with losing any birds to red tails? What size chickens and how large of a flock ? I'm tryin to determine if my flock o' 8 hens and one roo are ok with all the redtails i have around here. Oh yeah, my roo is a rir and my girls are buff mixes.

my flock..twenty and 11 ducks free range most of the time and we have a pair of red tails that I keep a close eye on but so far...................
fl.gif
the flock has been ok. But I will not act like they won't go after them.

I have already had a red tail try and get my chickens, but I also have crows and bluejays, who not only chase the hawks, but one of the bluejays perches in a tree close to my coop and warns my chickens of danger! It is so cool.

Thanx all for your input. I guess like CUDA says..."it's only a metter of time". So far so good, i allways have crows hangin around also so maybe like Mimi said, the crows could be helpin to fend off the redtails. (And/or waitin on thier own meals?)
If i have to lose a bird every now and then then i guess so be it. It's God's designe that they eat this way and who am i to interfere. I won't like it but i dang sure am NOT gonna harm a magnificent bird of prey for a chicken.

I feel the same way. I will lock the birds up at night, but I feel like they are just living too good a life free ranging. Even a few months of free ranging and then becoming hawk meat has to be better than what battery hens go through. I actually think it would be cool to witness in a "nature in action" sort of way.

For months I had a Hawk that would sit on the light pole near my coop. Every day. Just waiting for an opportunity. I realized about 3 weeks ago that I hadn't seen the hawk for some time. Then it happened. He showed up, no sooner got perched on the light pole and an ANGRY gang of crows decended out of the heavens and ran ole Mr. Hawk off. I discovered a couple days after that that the crows have built 3 nests within about 100 yards of my light pole. Evidently 100 yards is TOO close!
lau.gif

I have since decided I like crows.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom