Red thing? (picture) Anybody? HELP?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MyNameIs86, Mar 25, 2012.

1. MyNameIs86

MyNameIs86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    Hello,
    I have 4 good chicks hatched + 1 more hatched that isn't doing so well. [​IMG]
    There is a red thing coming out of it's behind and it doesn't stand. I'm not sure when it was born, but it doesnt look healthy. We also had one casuality. The one looked like it was dried so i helped it hatch but I think I was already dead. RIP poor chick.

What should I do with the one chick with the red think in/onhis butt?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  2. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Can you post a pic? It's hard to tell from your description whether its unabsorbed yolk, intestinal issues or some other deformity.

3. MyNameIs86

MyNameIs86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    Sure... I tried to go through the window of the incubator but i couldn't get a good picture so i did it really fast and took the chick out for a second and put him right back after i snap shot the picture.

(I'm not sure if the dead chick was dead. I helped hatch it with a sterilized tweezer. Perhaps it was just sleeping? but i touched the beek and nothing happened no movement. Should i have left it in the incubator?)

[​IMG]the red thing at the bottom. he can not walk right. i don't know when it was born per say could be hours ago to a few minutes prior to when i woke up

Anybody?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  4. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    there is a navel infection , i cant remember the name off the top..sometimes you clean your bator befor use, but in all of that warmpth and humidity it is a petri dish.. any little bacterium can take off and grow and you cant see it or anything..really soak the screen and things and wash hands befor even putting them in there..1 teeney little germ in those humid conditions can take off and a little one drags themselves across it and they become infected..like i said i switched to clorox solution soaks and cleaning.. i dont even think about it and will go out to the barn and clean around then come in and candle eggs...i had to train myself not to do that. you can pick up a bacterium that is harmless to adult birds, but infective to exposed navels. not even know you did it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by