Red Toe Nail polish...OUCh my toes are not cherries!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicamama, Jul 28, 2008.

1. chicamama

chicamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Topanga Ca
    Bad idea. At first I thought my chickens were attacking and then I realized.....my toes!

2. lizardz

lizardz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    Had same experience - was sitting on my porch reading a book when the girls came to say "Hi" -- or so I thought. Next thing I know, attack!! Now I know where the saying "Like being pecked to death by chickens" comes from [​IMG] !
    Liz

3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    If I was a chicken I'd peck at red toes too. [​IMG]

4. chicamama

chicamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Topanga Ca
    Yeah, I guess there IS a readon ranchers and farmers wear boots around their places. Unlike my fancy pants in platform flip flops and red toes.

5. Strawberrycats

Strawberrycats New Egg

Jun 6, 2008
    I was hanging the clothes on the line then wack wack! My toes yes has red polish on thats so fuuny!

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I can imagine the effect red nails have on them! Ouch!

I always wear shoes out in the yard, but will occasionally go out on the patio barefoot. Sometimes, when the girls are on the patio with me, I see one of them eyeing up the mole on the top of my foot. They alternate between looking at the mole and looking at me, to see if I'm watching! I always say in a low voice, "Don't even think about it..." They usually act casual and go dig up the flower bed after that. [​IMG]

7. chixbvs

chixbvs Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2008
    I wore my "pool" shoes- white with pink flowers on them- and went to change their water before I left- they would not leave me alone !

8. plucky

plucky Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2008
    Arkansas
    I usually wear boots while doing chores, but one day coming back from the lake I went to check the chicken's water in flip-flops (I had done a rare painting of the toes the day before with red polish), and had to literally dive out of the yard!

Hubby got a good laugh.

But makes me think someone should do a scientific experiment - is it just red toes? [​IMG] Some brave soul should try with other colors.

And not me. [​IMG]

9. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I walked into our broiler pen one day to feed them with flip flops and red toe nail polish on. Besides that they were so dang heavy when they stepped on your feet!! I will never do it again. I almost lost all of my digits !!:eek::eek::eek: You live and learn for sure on that one !!!

10. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

ROFL! [​IMG] I wear toe rings and bright polish! They peck at them all the time!! And they even go for my tattoos and freckles! Crazy birds!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by