Red Viens in yokes

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sega, Dec 19, 2010.

1. sega

sega Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2010
    Ludowici, GA.
    cracked open three fresh eggs from my French Marans this morning and in the yokes there where red viens. What does these mean? Also, in one of the eggs was a black something about the size of a grain of rice in the white of the egg. It looked like a lump of sand. Wondering what it was? Oh, and by the way my incubators a full and just waiting for Jan 1, for them to hatch.

2. coltssuperbowl83

coltssuperbowl83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    do you have any hens that may have been sitting on the eggs?

3. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Red veins mean a day or two of incubation.....I agree with coltssuperbowl83, you may have had a hen sitting on those eggs. Most clumps of anything in eggs that are off color are meat spots. That may have been what you saw ( the grain of rice looking thing ).

4. sega

sega Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2010
    Ludowici, GA.
    These eggs are fresh day old eggs. I collect them every night.

5. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    one of your hens has been sitting and you haven't noticed. Veins in eggs means developnment.

6. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Your egg was fertile and had been incubated for a couple of days.

Veins, like everybody else says, means development in an egg. [​IMG]

Good luck on your eggs too! [​IMG]

7. valley ranch

valley ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Can some development accure inside the warm hen? We use to see this from a hen or two on the ranch. Maybe some hens hang onto an egg for 8 or more hours longer than the rest, she collects them every night, if a hen set on them during that day that might do it.
    The other day the girls kicked the chickens out into the corral so they could clean the barn an anxious hen was waiting, when they let her in she ran to the nesting box and laid an egg. I wondered how much longer she could have held that egg if she had to.

Richard

8. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Quote:I really don't think so, no. I accidentally broke an egg that had been in the incubator for 2 days and there wasn't any veining in it yet, just a beating heart.

9. DPC poultry

DPC poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2010
    Mt. washington Ky
    i agree
    Quote:

10. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Are you sure it wasn't a blood/meat spot, instead of veining? This is common in hens that have just come back into lay or are just starting. Kind of a hiccup in the reproductive cycle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by