Red vs Clear bulb

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by vortec, Feb 3, 2009.

1. vortec

vortec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    When I placed the order for my brooder it gave me the option of either red or clear bulbs. Is there a difference as far as the chicks go or does it matter? What is the advantage in other words of each? Any input is always appreciated and thanks in advance.

vortec

2. COWBOY21

COWBOY21 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2008
    I dont think there is a advantage one way or another. Chicks seems like they pick at each other with the red bulb. Personaly I perfer the red bulb instead ,but has used both.As long you used the correct watts and have correct temp for baby chicks really dont matter. Hope this helps you out.[​IMG]

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've always used the red ones. Supposedly they aren't as likely to pick at each other and they interfer less with their normal sleep cycle.

4. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I like the red because I think it gives them a more restful night. I wouldn't want a big bright clear bulb next to me at all hours of the day! Maybe the chicks don't care though [​IMG]

5. vortec

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    Quote:Is that usually 250 Watts? That seems like a pretty big bulb. My brooder has 250W under its details but when I searched brooders, a 125 Watt popped up for sale beside of it. It could have been an error in the sight but for ten to 20 chicks, is 250W really what you need?

vortec

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    MN
    I've always used red, plus, when one of our chicks got cut on some wire and was bleeding, they were picking on the bloody spot, but when moved under red light, they didn't notice the blood and left the cut alone.

I don't know of the benefits of red vs normal in an incubator though..

7. vortec

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    Quote:I don't recall there being much of a price difference so I will consider getting a red one as that seems to offer some advantages, none major but none the less, as long as they cost about the same it would make sense to go with the red as I can see the points made above.

Thanks again guys

vortec

8. Irajoe

Irajoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    South Carolina
    I started our brooder with white light for one week and then switched to a red light...the difference was striking.

Immediately - at the instant I removed the bright white light and put in a red light - the chicks relaxed. They slept for nearly 9 hours without a single peep!

It was so dramatic, it was funny! Funny except that it caused me realize the stress the bright white light created for them.

9. vortec

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    Quote:Yep, I checked the price and its a whole $1.80 difference in price. Thats easy enough to get exactly what I want and try it out. It does make sense that the bulb would be less intense then the clear one. Thanks again

vortec

10. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    my brooder is fairly small so I used a 100 watt red light from the pet store. It gave plenty of heat in that space. When I moved them to a coop I used the 250 watt red at night because the 100 watt was not enough there. I use white light during the day and red at night. Jean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by