Red, warm, swollen bumps on legs

chickenzarr

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 10, 2014
Anyone have any idea what this is or how to treat it! She's still eating, drinking, tail up...just slower. I'm sure it hurts. I soaked her in an epsom salt bath tonight.

Also, it seems to be almost imploding from within. It started red, got more swollen, and then tonight one spot was actually bleeding! Help!

Attachments

• IMG_7076.JPG
    IMG_7076.JPG
    273.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_7077.JPG
    IMG_7077.JPG
    322.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7078.JPG
    IMG_7078.JPG
    457.5 KB · Views: 17
It might be bumble foot.I would put neosprin or Vaseline to help the bleeding stop.I would also talk to a docter.

I did have bumble foot and leg mites in a couple other chickens, but this one was clear. Unfortunately we don't have any vets that look at chickens where I'm from. I live in North Dakota and when I asked a vet once about something, I got a blank stare, along with-It's a chicken!

It's weird, right!? I can really only describe it as, the leg turned pink, then red, then started to swell, then got bigger until it looked deformed and broke through the scales. I've searched the internet for hours and haven't found anything???

Now the spots are spreading to new areas. Like cancer??? I'm at a loss!

It's weird, right!? I can really only describe it as, the leg turned pink, then red, then started to swell, then got bigger until it looked deformed and broke through the scales. I've searched the internet for hours and haven't found anything???

Now the spots are spreading to new areas. Like cancer??? I'm at a loss!
I know you posted this months ago, but my rooster is experiencing the same thing. He was attacked by a coyote, but for treatment purposes I'm isolating what's happening with his leg as a standalone situation.

Were you able to treat her? Or did she worsen and pass? I'd love to know how this turned out for you and your hen.

Thank you.

@ChickNanny13

I'm not sure if you have been reading another post somewhere and getting confused but the chicken is referred to as female by the OP several times in the opening post.

I would have said that the photos indicate there is a leg mite problem with that bird which may be getting infected, but Marek's disease can also cause such lesions, which can be cancerous.

@ChickNanny13

I'm not sure if you have been reading another post somewhere and getting confused but the chicken is referred to as female by the OP several times in the opening post.

I would have said that the photos indicate there is a leg mite problem with that bird which may be getting infected, but Marek's disease can also cause such lesions, which can be cancerous.
I don't think Marek's is the cause of what's going on with my rooster's leg, but it's good knowing this is a possibility for leg sores. Also, lesions wasn't in my chicken vocabulary; now it is. I'll have to learn more about what that means, versus sores.

I don't think Marek's is the cause of what's going on with my rooster's leg, but it's good knowing this is a possibility for leg sores. Also, lesions wasn't in my chicken vocabulary; now it is. I'll have to learn more about what that means, versus sores.

Since this is an older thread - we can still use it for discussion and/or speculation:)
Hopefully @chickenzarr will update us on her(?) chicken's condition and/or method of treatments that have been used - I see they have not been on since Jun 2017 .

I would agree with @rebrascora looks like Scaly Leg Mite.
But legs look infected which can be a complication of SLM. There is no mention of what the bottom of the feet look like, so not sure if it could be a systemic infection from Bumblefoot and the SLM complicated it. Could also be Marek's, a form of Fowl Pox, Mycoplasma S. , scabs/lesions from injury or the bird pecking at it's legs- the list can go on. One thing can lead to another (which came first?). Of course it's all speculation as to the cause - without formal testing, who knows. If I were going to suggest treatment for this particular thread - just by photos and short description I would recommend soakings in epsom salts, chlorhexidine or betadine, followed by application of triple antibiotic ointment. Since (to me) there is evidence of infection - antibiotics like Penicillin or Amoxicillin to (hopefully) get that under control. Then it would be like most anything (unfortunately) - wait and see how it goes.

Just my thoughts.

upload_2017-10-30_14-37-27.png

upload_2017-10-30_14-37-45.png

Back
Top Bottom