red water nipples leaking

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by foothillsfiber, Feb 8, 2012.

1. foothillsfiber

foothillsfiber Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    Arkansas
    I have 3 in the bottom of a 3 gallon bucket. they create a wet mess under the bucket so I think that they are leaking. I put them in and they appear to be in tight, no teflon tape though. I do not have the lid on the bucket. do I need it on for a vacuum? thanks James

2. crystal195655

crystal195655 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Glenoma, WA
    as long as you used the right drill but to make the hole and haven't over tightened them I can't understand why they would leak. maybe you could try putting some teflon tape on them. A lid should not make a difference as far as i know. We did ours and filled the jug up with water and got no leaks even with the lid off.....is it leaking from the metal tits or around the opening that the nipples are screwed into?

3. foothillsfiber

foothillsfiber Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    Arkansas
    i think that it is leaking out the metal tips. there is nearly always a drop of water on them.

4. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    You can try sealing the thread with pvc cement or using teflon tape. If it is thae actual nipple that is leaking, you could switch to watering cups. They have the same size thread as most nipples so you could just unscrew the nipples and screw in the cups (as long as the holes are new the edge of the bucket like this:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by