Red wine for your chickens??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mountaintopchicken, Nov 18, 2008.

1. mountaintopchicken

mountaintopchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    I stumbled upon a posting on a U.K. forum about giving red wine to chickens in the winter. The thread is here .

The thread started because someone had read about giving red wine to chickens on a French chicken forum (of course!), and apparently 20% of the people that responded to the thread do give the chooks wine.

We're not talking straight wine here, I don't think - one person mentioned 20cc wine per liter of water.

I'll try to post a link to a translated version of the thread on the french chicken forum...here .

Sooo... what d'ya think? I've tried googling for info, but it's hard to filter out all of the recipes that come up for chicken cooked in wine.

I mean, red wine has lots of proven health benefits for humans, lots of polyphenols that act as antioxidants...

2. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    Great excuse for me to join them.... one good thought!

Cant buy a bottle just for the chickens really can we?

Thank you.

Jena

3. BFeathered

BFeathered Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    North Texas
    Why not?! [​IMG] Just because you're sharing it with them, doesn't mean it's not "theirs"! I wonder if this has a similar effect to apple cider vinegar? Where's the Unicorn when you need?

4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    I always thought it was WHITE wine with chicken ???

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:Brilliant!

6. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    Not if the chicken's name is 'Marsala'.
    [​IMG]

7. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I read somewhere that the ancient Romans gave their chickens wine during the winter months. I don't know why or even where I read it. [​IMG]

8. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Last year, when the young pullets were in their coop & run for the first time, I would go out there and sit on the upturned logs to visit with them. I would sometimes bring a glass of wine and put it on the boards lining the run. Well, wouldn't you know, but some of my girls developed quite the taste for it. After a couple glasses with grit on the bottom, I stopped with the "run-service"!

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Very interesting. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. mountaintopchicken

mountaintopchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    O.K., confession... I have 2 tbsp red wine/1 gallon of water in all chicken coops today. I put in in this morning. Chilly morning, so I figure, why not try it today? Sort of ease them into winter. I'll report back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by