Red worms in poo UPDATE** 9/22/11

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fishnet1971, Aug 22, 2011.

1. geeze, two posts here in one day. I must be getting to be a bad momma...

I found worms in my 17 week old White Cochin Peaches on Friday. Never had seen the worms before, so I am not sure what kind these are. They were red/orange in color tiny little things I didnt realize they were worms and/or even alive until i watched it for a minute and saw them move.

I treated with wormed from TSC, but now I am not so sure it was the wormer for these worms. I wish I would have taken a picture, I can not seem to find any of these specific worms.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  2. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Are they kinda "Y' shaped? If so, they are passing gapeworm. But they also literally cause a chicken to gasp/choke for air, mouth open, possible head shaking. Have you seen any of these signs? If not, I recommennd you take a fecal sample to a vet and have them look at it. BTW, what was the name of the wormer you got at TSC?

4. i gave them Ivermectine... I know I know..... i didnt have any valbazene on hand yet.
    The poo almost looked like it had rolled around in their food crumbles but they were the red/orange in color. that's what is confusing me. Each little one tried to 'stand up' and kinda like 'wave' around.

they did not have the y shape of the 'mating' gapes. only single strand about a 1/16th of an ince long. tiny things.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:After some research, they possibly could be cecal worms. I'd take a sample to a vet to be sure though...shouldnt cost much.

6. When i got home today I checked their poos and didnt see anything. I checked Peaches poo as well. Nothing. Peaches is the one that I had seen the worms on. I was hoping to at least get a picture of it to see. I still can not figure out what they were. I will call my vet tomorrow.

Are they ablt to pass gape worm intestinally?

7. this morning i was able to go directly to Peaches's poo. I know where she sat last night. I 'disected' it. Sorry for the gross images you are invisioning... [​IMG]. I did find little white smaller than a grain of rice size things in it. They were not moving though. the poo was solid for a change, like she ate grass n stuff. I remember seeing this before, but thought it was maybe grit or seeds or something. I am thinking now they were worms even then. She would have been little too. That scares me. Could they have done any damage to her? She had left a little red skin like thing in her poo when she was VERY young, like a week or so. Everyone said not to worry, taht it probably was intestinal shedding. I agreed. I still see it once in awhile, and did in todays poo when i disected it.

Any thoughts Dawg?

I am thinking roundworm now.

8. DAWG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! here's a photo of the poo once again today. they are not red, they are orange. I do not seem to find them inside the poo, just covering it. By the time i found the poo today, these were dead already. Please tell me you can identify it? I am going to stop by the vet's tomorrow am with it.

[​IMG]

9. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I've seen tapeworms like that, but not orange. Take it to your vet and let us know what you got.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by