Red Worms in White Watery Discharge

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crystal1957, Jan 5, 2011.

1. crystal1957

crystal1957 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Tallahassee
    Noticed some red worms in a white watery discharge today--in November I wormed everyone with Eprinex pour on--all the birds look well, a few are molting. Everyone's comb is red and everyone is eating---Because of the dogs in the neighborhood I have to keep my birds in large chain link areas. Grass is now gone and when it rains heavily there is a lot of mud, except in the chicken coops. I scoop and drain the muddy water after each rainfall--the ground gets mushy pretty easily.

I do my best... and am still getting eggs. What kind of worms are these and how can I figure out who has the worms? Should I worm everyone again? I do have some ivermectin injectable--should I use an eye dropper and measure out some orally for each one? I also have Wazine but I am thinking this is gapeworm--no one is gasping, etc.

Any ideas?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:How long were the worms and what was their shape? The reason I asked is because gapeworms are red in color, the male and female usually mated together in a "Y" shape. The male is about 1/4 inch long and the female is about 3/4 inch long. The eprinex will kill gapeworm, wazine wont. I dont know if you did a second worming 10-14 days after you used the eprinex in November. I'd go ahead and reworm them again with eprinex now.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  3. crystal1957

crystal1957 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Tallahassee
    No I didn't worm them again. Can I use the eprinex pour on again--I also have ivermectin injectable which I can administer orally if you think that would be better.

I put the worm in a jar (yipes), so I just went to look at it--very red, about the width of the widest cooked spaghetti there is. No Y shape, which I was looking for before you wrote--this is just a single worm, but it is nearly a foot long!!, didn't see the Y shape or the distinction of a male/female.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:A foot long? Holy smokes! Sounds like a tapeworm! Forget ivermectin, it wont kill tapeworms. You need to buy Valbazen (albendazole). Valbazen is is a liquid cattle/sheep wormer and can be purchased at jeffers livestock.com Valbazen kills all known types of worms that chickens can get. Dosage is 1/2cc/ml for standard size and 1/4cc/ml for smaller chickens...given orally right down the throat. Use a syringe without the needle for proper measurement. I recommmend that you reworm ALL your chickens with valbazen. Redose again with valbazen in 10-14 days after the first dose since you're dealing with tapeworms. ETA: Fourteen day withdrawal applies.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  5. cletus the rooster

cletus the rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

today i found something similar to what was described but it wasnt moving and looked like a miniature intestine in the poop and it had a small blood clot looking thing on the end anyone have any clue what it might be? i really dont want to worm them if i dont have to

6. melissahj

melissahj Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    I would suggest trying food grade diatomaceous earth . It is all natural and will kill any type of parasite or worm that your chickens may have.

DE provides many health benefits in addition to working as a natural de-wormer. In fact, I feed my chickens food grade diatomaceous earth every day. As well, they love to dust themselves in it, which also kills mites, etc.

I like the product because it is not a chemical and is safe to use around all my animals. I have even heard of people eating DE!

Good luck [​IMG]

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:DE is not a wormer. There isnt any scientific proof stating that it kills worms.

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:DE is not a wormer. There isnt any scientific proof stating that it kills worms.

Agreed. And by the time you see the worms their bodies are so overloaded with them.

9. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas

Agreed. And by the time you see the worms their bodies are so overloaded with them.

Yeah I ran the DE query passed my vet and he said that it is not proven to help with internal parasites. Furthermore because it is so dense it can impact some animals. And he said if it is abrasive enough to injure a parasite what is doing to the animals gut? He did say it was good for dust bathes..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by