1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Redcap or Sussex....or ??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JetR, Oct 13, 2013.

1. JetR

JetR Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2013
    Las Vegas
    This is my first time having chickens since I was a kid.

I found my younger one (Bubbi) on the street (literally, while I was on a run) and the older hen (Bertha) I got off of a local craigslist ad. She is said to be about 2 years old, and that is all the previous owners knew about her. There is quite a bit of difference in size, but I believe Bubbi is still fairly young (though I can't be sure based on the fact I just found her on her own).

I originally thought Bubbi was a Rhode Island Red, but the more time goes by, the more I think she could be something else due to darker markings coming in.

I don't have much experience with determining breeds especially when they are the red colored chickens, there are a lot of similarities between multiple breeds and I am just not that good!

Here are some photos. The markings coming in on Bubbi seem to match what Bertha already has, so they could be the same breed?

Bubbi
    [​IMG]

Bertha
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance for any/all feedback.

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Bubbi is a mix breed hen ( maybe a New Hampshire Red cross) and Bertha is an Easter Egger. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Bubbi is some sort of mix, probably with some New Hampshire Red in her. Bertha is a pretty little Easter Egger.

4. JetR

JetR Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2013
    Las Vegas
    Thank you! I wasn't even thinking of EE's!

5. Aaisha

Aaisha Chillin' With My Peeps

X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by