1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Reddened Butt No Feather Loss, Still Laying? (with picture)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by harmesonfarm, Mar 25, 2016.

1. harmesonfarm

harmesonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2015
    Nanaimo, BC
    Hoping that someone with more experience can help me identify what this is, and if it's even a problem or not!
    One of my poor girls who we adopted last year from a farmer seems to have a really red, maybe swollen, butt area...
    Her pelvic bones i was checking to see which of the 6 we rescued were still laying...she had about 2-3 fingers width apart for her vent and it was moist which leads me to believe she is still laying as well as a very nice red comb and wattles.

But when i went to check the vent area, i noticed it was bright red and above it just under where the tail feathers are is really hard...doesn't look like she's missing feathers or anything like that...
    Not sure anything about what this could be or if it's even something to be concerned about?

I've researched and haven't really been able to figure it out so i'm hoping someone can shed some light on it for me!

All the help is very appreciated, i just want to make her better / hope she's ok! [​IMG]

thanks

[​IMG]

i know the quality and lighting isn't very good...i hope it's enough to identify though, she was very unhappy with me touching there more-so than any of the other hens so i think it might be sore...

2. harmesonfarm

Oct 7, 2015
    Nanaimo, BC
    here's a more up close image we were able to get of her vent... poor thing!

[​IMG]

3. harmesonfarm

Oct 7, 2015
    Nanaimo, BC
    I'm starting to wonder if this is due to mites [​IMG]

uh oh...

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
  5. harmesonfarm

Oct 7, 2015
    Nanaimo, BC
    Yeah...looking at that article it may seem like lice. I'm wondering if i should inspect closer with better lighting tonight before doing anything too quickly?

6. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Sounds a good plan :highfive:

I've found you need to part the feathers rather quickly because as soon as the lice see any light they off at top speed out of view :mad:

Give your coop a good inspection too for mites that could be in there. They hide in nooks and crannies and under perches too.

7. harmesonfarm

Oct 7, 2015
    Nanaimo, BC
    thanks so much for all the help! Will do. Just checked with the feed store near us and they said adding diatomaceous earth to their dust bath, and all around the coop and in nesting boxes is a good treatment for them, so i think we'll be going that route after tonight. It's good prevention too though is my understanding [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by