Redding, CA

sheerchaos11

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2017
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I raised 2 Rhode Island Reds when I was 12. I'm now 37 with 2 teenagers of my own. Together with my children, my loving boyfriend and our friendly dog Bailey, we got our chickens about 8 weeks ago (March 2017)

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Right now we have 7

(3) What breeds do you have?
2 Rhode Island Reds and 5 Golden Buff Orpingtons

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
I was Googling questions about chicken coops and found your website.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I love to read romance novels, write on my Sheerchaos . net blog. When I'm not doing those things, I'm growing plants and flowers, relaxing on the porch swing with Ms.Bailey

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I'm a full-time working mom where I mostly help my boss manage his day at our lumber mill. I make cupcakes as a side job. When I'm not at work or elbow deep in cake batter, I write on my blog. We rescued a dog from our local shelter. She's a wire haired terrier.

Welcome to Backyard chickens. I enjoyed your interesting introduction, especially about being "elbow deep in cake batter," I've certainly enjoyed a lot of cupcakes in my life though in my golden years (?) I've switched to ice cream. I'm an indoor gardener, who hybridizes Streptocarpus plants, used to show & breed Cocker Spaniels.

Hope you will enjoy Backyard chickens as much as we do.
woot.gif

Hello and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre - https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

All the best
CT

G’Day from down under sheerchaos11
frow.gif
Welcome & Congratulations!

As you have already received links to some good starting points, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

Hello there! also in Redding :) 15 chickens total and 2 ducks. Currently incubating 4 eggs to try out but hoping to begin breeding our chickens and selling chicks.
It's addicting. I started out with 5 Buff Orpington chicks, picked up 2 more Rhode Island reds, traded my beautiful but crowing rooster Cooper for another buff orpington pullet, and gained a lavender orpington. Incubated some of Coopers babies from my fancy lady hens. Now, we have 5 buff orpingtons, 2 rhode islands, and 12 cross babies which turned out to be 5 Ruffingtons (Rhode Island/Buff orpington cross) and 7 buff orpington 5 week old baby chicks.

It's addicting. I started out with 5 Buff Orpington chicks, picked up 2 more Rhode Island reds, traded my beautiful but crowing rooster Cooper for another buff orpington pullet, and gained a lavender orpington. Incubated some of Coopers babies from my fancy lady hens. Now, we have 5 buff orpingtons, 2 rhode islands, and 12 cross babies which turned out to be 5 Ruffingtons (Rhode Island/Buff orpington cross) and 7 buff orpington 5 week old baby chicks.
& a partridge in a pear tree~

Back
Top Bottom