Reddish combs/wattles one day then the next day they are pale. Why?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nicole01, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Why are my girls face, combs and wattles reddish one day, then the next day pale? Anyone know why? I see it on the 10 week and older chicks.

2. florafarmer

florafarmer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2011
    I will be interested to see any replies. I have noticed the same thing on my 9 week old RIR rooster. Not super pale.........just not as red as other times.

3. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Have you checked for mites? Some mites live in crevices in the house and come out only at night to feed on the bird. If there were enough of them they could cause a pale comb.

However if that's not the issue I wouldn't worry too much -- sometimes this can be hormonal or to do with temperature. My birds' combs are often quite pale after they've laid an egg, when the blood pressure is lower.

cheers
    Erica

4. Aemelia

Aemelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    If my birds get excited their combs and wattles get redder. I don't know for sure if they are hens (11 weeks now and no crowing yet) but many people on here said they looked like pullets when I posted to the gender and breed board.

5. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:Yeah, they don't have mites. I use DE regularly since day one to keep odor down. It keeps the bugs away as well.

6. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:I'm 100% positive all mine are pullets though. The only one I was concerned about was my RIR, as her comb turned red at 5 weeks, but it never grew taller. Maybe they are always excited? They run all over the place.lol

7. Marylizbet

Marylizbet Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2011
    Mine always get red when they run! All of them. They get excited, or upset, and their faces get all red. If we hold them, and they calm down they go to pale peach/skin color. I don't know why, but for mine it's from the excitement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by