reddness developing on feet, black spots on comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by stanski, Sep 13, 2009.

1. stanski

stanski New Egg

Sep 13, 2009
    My rooster began limping yesterday and I noticed reddness around his toes and up his legs. Today I say black spots on his comb. Does anyone know what is going on with him?

2. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    Is he your only roo?

3. stanski

stanski New Egg

Sep 13, 2009
    No, I have 2 orpingtons.

4. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    Is it possible they were fighting? Black spots on roo combs are sometimes just dried blood and if he was fighting his legs might be red.

5. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    I would love to see a pic to be sure but if I had to guess I would say the black spots on the comb are exactly as said before dried blood spot and the redness on his legs are a sign his hormones are strong and he's healthy. Here is a pic of a roo I had and I was concerened about his red legs also...

[​IMG]

6. stanski

stanski New Egg

Sep 13, 2009
    [​IMG]

He is barely putting any weight on his left leg.
    I don't really know what I'm doing with the picture deal. I hope you can see it.

7. stanski

stanski New Egg

Sep 13, 2009
    You can't really tell from this pic just how irritated his legs look.

8. JayBird+16

JayBird+16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Fitzwilliam, NH
    I agree w/ the dried blood. Maybe the red on the legs is brusing, but my Black Star Roo has red legs, red up the back and in between the toes. His legs continue to get redder as he gets older.

9. stanski

stanski New Egg

Sep 13, 2009
    He is definately not feeling well. As the day goes on he is acting sicker. He really isn't putting any weight on his left leg.

10. JayBird+16

JayBird+16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Fitzwilliam, NH
    Have you check for a more serious injury under his feathers? They are pretty good a hiding these things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by