Redesigning our coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lubird, Mar 11, 2013.

1. lubird

lubird Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2013
    We bought a small coop when we first started out with chickens a year ago. We are adding to our flock and want to create a bigger coop but not a huge one. This is what ours looks like just a general prefab one. We will have 4 chickens and want to make more room for them. Where do we start? We found we really would like to put a heat lamp in to keep them laying through the winter any suggestions? We would have to run an outdoor power cord in order to make that happen. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have been checking out all the coops on the site they are great but a lot of them way too big for what we are wanting.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Just build an 8X10 walk in coop. You won't regret it.

I have one of those and then two 8X8 Grow out pens, along with a wonderful brooder.

Best things I've ever done.

3. OCpeep

OCpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    How about extending the coop to the right of the existing coop and adding on to the run on the right side.

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I've never used lights to extend their laying time but I know one thing I wouldn't use a heat lamp. Heat lamps cause fires. I agree with the suggestion of building a walk in coop.

5. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    It is hard to tell sizes from you photo but your coop looks too small. I agree that they need more room. How about getting some plywood and enclosing the run and use that as their coop? The existing coop to the left could be the nesting boxes. Of course you will need a run for them as well. Some fence posts and netting could make a quick run and ok if you are at home to watch them. A more permanant and predator run fence would be needed for something more secure. You could run an extension cord out and add a brooder lamp in the corner of the coop but I would use a low wattage bulb and angle the lamp toward the wall since your coop is not big. The added space will allow for a heated water container in the coop as well. Bury your cord in the yard a bit and even running it through plactic conduit would protect it from ground moles. I use lamps in my coop during the Winter but it is pretty spacious where the birds can find a good temperature zone. I also leave pop doors open full time and upper vents open (downwind of weather direction). Hope this Helps!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  6. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

You could buy another coop te same as u have now an screw it to the side of the other one with the coop side window taking off so your chickens could move though both coops

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by