redhawk

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JJCURETON, Feb 4, 2016.

1. JJCURETON

JJCURETON New Egg

Feb 4, 2016
    Question? Our coop was attacked by a Big Horned Gray Owl, he killed two of our hens plus ended up in side the coop when we found him in the coop and disposed of him we found he had pulled out lots of hens feathers. Now we think the flock are now attacking each other and pulling out feathers since their trauma the owl. Thought about separating each one hoping that this would calm them down. Any suggestions would help Thank you

2. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined the flock! Keeping them separate would be best. Sometimes when chickens see blood they peck at it more. Also trying to predator proof your coop to prevent further attacks.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - seems like the owl made one heck of a mess - sorry about that. I agree with Birdrain re: blood and separating those chickens affected. Its likely that your flock will act strangely for a few weeks until they get over the stress of the attack, so don't worry if you see them being a bit weird - its to be expected.

All the best
    CT

4. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

5. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. Oh, how dreadful! Your poor girls. I agree with the others. Good luck in the future. At least you got the killer. :clap

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I suggest you check out the predator threads for the best way to prevent attacks on your flock. The trauma will probably put your girls "off" laying till they feel secure again. It is especially hard on birds, when they witness the attack.

7. N F C

N F C got coffee? Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG] (Wish it was under better circumstances)

I'm sorry for your losses and hope things calm down for everyone.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by