Redneck Broody Housing w/Pictures **UPDATE** Post 14

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Shiningfeather, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Shiningfeather

Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    Well, my story started off almost a year ago. My wonderful DS got his girlfriend this great Valentines Day gift..... Long story short, it ended up in my chicken free range area, which the birdies loved in the summer for shade and they also hide from flying predators under it. Here are some pics then I will tell you the rest.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well I removed her from the battery tray and put her a nice nest box with shavings in it on the tray. I was not sure if the eggs were still even viable, they are nasty dirty with grease, egg yolk from broken one and mud since it rained yesterday. So I took them and replaced them with ones that I know are good, 3 EE and 2 BA eggs. I put hers in my incubator that I already have running with some of my EEs in. I did candle hers and they had babies but I saw no movement...... [​IMG] Hers only seemed to be about a week old in growth. I figured since she went to all the trouble to find a great hiding place she deserved to have some babies. [​IMG]

Wanted to add, I did check before dark and she is snuggled down in her new nest box on the new eggs.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  2. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    Yep ... all the ENERGY it takes to be a broody mama, she SHOULD be able to power the vehicle....

3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    that's awesome [​IMG]

4. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Thats cool
    But, since there is grease on them, I doubt they are viable...
    But hey, you never know what happens in the world of chickens!
    [​IMG]

5. Shiningfeather

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    Quote:I took the ones she had and gave her some new ones, minus the grease and mud. She should have babies because I know the ones I gave her are fertile.

6. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Good story!

7. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Roll down the windows put in a roost , get rid of the seats and there ya have a real redneck coop! Tell kids sorry but you left it too long!
    Edited to spell red neck correctly..did not want any one to get the wrong idea![​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  8. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I'm inspired!! We have a derelict Dodge Grand Caravan; if we take out the seats and put in a roost and nest boxes....

9. Shiningfeather

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    Quote:I actually have thought of doing this, I am tired of it sitting there and the chickens would love it.

10. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Do it..what are they going to do? Get mad? If so charge them storage at $25 per day! I am sure they would gladly hand you the title to your new chicken coop!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by