Redneck Sportsman in Progress

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Robo, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I am tired of those little ice chests they call incubators. I lost 40 chicks to those evil shipping boxes. My goal is to make an incubator for less than $125 that will hold 2-3 egg turners and a hatching tray. I will keep everyone updated on my progress and hopefully make it easier for the next guy. I will post pictures and a parts list with cost as I go. I plan to finish in under 2 weeks, but hopefully one if my schedule allows me to. Here is my thermostat, and here is my heat source.
    http://compare.ebay.com/like/380208...fe8c1d1&itemid=380208362336&ff4=263602_309572
    http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Electronic-...574?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35af1b7b7e

2. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I just lost 40 chicks to those ice chests they call incubators so now I am going to make one. It will be my redneck sportsman, and I will try to make a quality incubator that will hold 2 egg turners for under $100. I will make a parts list that includes cost as I go. I will try to make it easier for the next guy who tries this. I commence the incubator raising tomorrow morning and I will invite my 3 little quail chicks and my banny hen. Wish me luck and give me some ideas.[​IMG][​IMG]

3. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    It is totally possible to do it for a lot less than $125 if you don't count the turners. I am not sure what your heating element is because the link no longer works. The thermo you posted is just a water heater thermo and you can buy one of those at Lowes or Home Depot and don't have to wait to for it to be shipped. We used actual GQF elements in ours. You can buy them from eggcartons.com for $6.50 each. We have two in ours.

What are you using for your cabinet? Ours is an old Pepsi fridge from a grocery store. Got is off Craiglist for $25. We have less than $60 total in our bator and it works perfectly.

Good luck with yours.

4. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I am making a wooden box with insulation board inside of that.

5. theredroosta

theredroosta Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Isn't this like your seventh post of the exact same topic? In fact there is one a few topics down from this one. Stop it.

6. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Sorry, my cell phone that I posted it on keeps doing this, I fixed it though. Sorry for the double post.

7. theredroosta

theredroosta Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Dude, your other topic is differently punctuated in the title, your phone wouldn't do that..

8. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Oh, then it must have been when it shut off while I was trying to post. Sorry about the double post. I think it has been deleted. Once again sorry about that.

9. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    I built a little bit smaller cabinet then a sportsman this past fall just for the cost of 1 4x8x 3/4 ' sheet of plywood and a coupla hinges for the door between hunting and trapping preds I have been kina busy of late I will probally finnish it at the end of trapping season I bought a honeywell electronic t-stat I have used on 2 other incys that I am well pleased with the performance I was going to try to add some type of humidity control using a personal sized humidifier but to start out and get the heat levels right I will probally just use a pan of water like the sportsman's use good luck keep us updated they really are not hard to build.

10. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I just hope it works better than those styrafoams.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by