1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Redness

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by danlittleann, Apr 26, 2016.

1. danlittleann

danlittleann Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2016
    Minnesota
    [​IMG]Just brought my two ducks inside because of the cold. Noticed my Runner's eyes were red (irritated looking) and red around where her bill meets her face. Any ideas why?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  2. danlittleann

Mar 20, 2016
    Minnesota
    Bumping this to the top

3. nickolemarie7

nickolemarie7 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2016
    It could be the beginning of a respiratory infection, do you notice any sneezing or crackled sounding breathing (put your head to its chest or side and you'll hear it), panting, lethargy, etc etc?

4. danlittleann

Mar 20, 2016
    Minnesota
    None at all

5. nickolemarie7

nickolemarie7 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2016
    Any possibility of getting into anything(poisen wise, cleaning supplies, garden supplies etc etc), or even any pesticides, fertilizer or anything sprayed in the yard or around pen?

If not my only other thought would be mites.

I'd just keep an eye on her for the next day or two and see if it gets worse or goes away or she starts sneezing. Just keep a bowl so shes able to clear the nasal passages and clean it if it feels the urge to. Could just be something as simple as an allergic reaction

6. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    It could be mites or the cold if there eyes and bills were wet and the wind was making them very chill it could have irritated the skin. , I would suggest taking them to the vet to be safe.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by