RedSexLink is leaking green 'seaweed-grass', looking for advice (pics)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by buddycurry, Jul 25, 2011.

1. buddycurry

buddycurry New Egg

Jul 24, 2011
    After spending hours reading through posts over the years, learning plenty, I have finally registered; primarily because one of our girls "Big Red" is not looking so good. Near death is more like it. We have what used to be the dominant girl, a Red Sex Link, 1.5 yr old, was of average weight. She shares the place with 7 other girls (australorp, delaware, wydotte, buffs) in the San Francisco bay area, where it stays cool year round. 300 sq. ft. of run with a big coop, crumble and scratch with grocery store vegetable trimmings 1x/week. This particular bird has been on-site for 3 months.

About 5 days ago, she started dropping her tail, moved just a little bit, became uninterested in food, quit laying and was exhibiting a bit of green colored, somewhat runny poops. All the other girls are their usual vigorous selves, just Big Red is having her problems. No mites or signs of external trauma. I fed her by hand rice and cooked fish, which she ate a handful of, but didn't finish it. I'm too inexperienced to know how 'full' she should feel; when I hold her, she feels relatively soft and her belly hardens up as she stretches out her body. I haven't felt any tumors or internal eggs.

I was away for 3 days and returned today. About the same appearance, still only ate a few spoonfuls of rice/fish mix. Wasn't interested in scratch.
    In going through the forum listings, I didn't come across a 'lifeless, green straw poop' listing, so I am putting this out there hoping for any opinions as to her condition. It would also be a real bummer is she infected the other girls or if there is no hope for her. I appreciate your time if you've read this far. Buddy Curry
    Here's images from today:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Unknown
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Not sure how much she has been eating on her own, feeding by hand 2x/day.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Green, grass like, somewhat runny
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? None
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Will treat here on site.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use Elevated coop with wire mesh bottom. [/img]

2. Daisy668

Daisy668 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    I have a chicken who did a similar thing to that. It lasted about 1 week but then we finally gave in and took her to the vets where she got some anti-biotics and were told to feed her yoghurt and make sure shes drinking by giving her water through a syringe. She might get better in her own time [​IMG] Make sure shes been wormed recently as this can make them under the weather if they have worms.
    Keep her seperate from the others at night but during the day maybe let her see them but not being able to get to them this will keep her happy but not have to be stressed out.
    Hope she gets better soon keep us updated.
    Daisy. xx

3. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
  4. melloladies

melloladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Merritt Island
    Have you checked her crop? I lost my first girl when I had only had her about 2 weeks- she stopped eating, stopped laying, drooped her tail, and her droppings looked way off- not green like yours, but the other symptoms fit. She had a puffy gas filled crop, and we caught it too late to save her. Good luck! Do what you can for her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by