1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Redstar 10 mo pullet laying lumpy egg and now seems to have trouble laying.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chooniecat, Mar 19, 2013.

1. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    She has been in/out of nest all day and I am almost positive she hasn't been able to lay her egg(posted on here a few weeks ago about lumpy egg-figured out it was HER laying them and banded her so I would know if she started to exhibit more odd stuff). She is in the position(ya'll know what it looks like) to lay and have CONSIDERED eggbound but am still curious why her eggs have been lumpy. Am super busy and haven't noticed if she has behaved this way in last few days. It is cold here(30 and strong wind) so I will have to leave her in house if I soak her buttocks trying to pass the egg. Not convinced eggbound but haven't felt her yet. Pic, again, of what her eggs look like.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Good luck with her,I lost my two year old redstar last week from internal egg laying.I was told that this breed is prone to this.She was one of my first and favorite hens.

3. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    Redstars prone to internal egglaying, huh. I have had the worst luck with these Redstars(aka Gold comet,red sex link,etc...) for various reasons and think I will stick to more classic layers. Got 6 total off CL free last year and have 2 left(I think LOL) and altho they are kickbutt layers its not worth it to create a bird prone to painful crap. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by