redstar hens

farmgal37

Hatching
8 Years
May 15, 2011
hi i have red star hens ....was wondering if anyone has had these and are they good layers ect any info plzz ....god bless!!
big_smile.png

Red star is the same as gold comet or red sex link. I have 20 right now but I cannot attest to their laying abilities yet since mine are still only 3 weeks old. I was told though that they are one of the best layers and will lay an egg a day or more. They start laying early and lay a lot of eggs but then tend to slow down laying quickly once they get older.

Are red sex link and golden sex link the same thing? Because I bought golden sex links called Red Stars. I was also wondering if they will lose their white feathers or keep some. Mine are 8 weeks and are red with white.

I have red stars, black stars, and eater eggers. The reds are my absolute favorite. They are EXCELLENT layers of good-sized brown eggs, but my favorite thing about them is that they're sweet and fearless. They are not skittish like my easter eggers. My black stars don't care about people unless they're being fed. The red stars are comical little beggers and they get into EVERYTHING. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine!

Quote:
Sexlinks can vary in shades of gold to red. Most have a white undercoat. So you'll find some will look more red and others will be lighter...I have some of both and I got them at the same time same place. They have different parents and that's how you'll get the difference in colors! So yes, IMO they are the same thing! They will keep the white undercoat!

Quote:
Thanks, I'm glad to hear that. I originally was going to get RIR's but couldn't get them at the same time as my BR so I got the Red Stars. I thought they would look a lot like RIR but I am loving the combination of the chestnut/red with the white.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom