Reduced egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by alessadry, Sep 25, 2012.

1. alessadry

alessadry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    My chickens turned 1 year old in March. They have gone from producing 12-15 eggs a day to 2 to 5 at times and then some days 8, but never as before and they are 15 chickens! My neighbor said they are molting, they did lose some feathers about 2 months ago, but now it looks like they are losing some again. One chicken went broody, so she does not make eggs, but what about the rest? they are eating like pigs, but can't understand what is going on.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Molting and decreased daylength may be primary factors in the reduced egg production. This is a normal happening early fall through winter - also why many provide artificial lighting to increase daylength and spur egg production.

3. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    mine are doing the same thing. mine are all around the 18 month old age . only getting 5 0r 6 eggs a day from 13.

4. papinator

papinator Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2011
    Des Moines
    Mine too! I think it's that time of year. Several of my chickens have spots that have feathers pulled (no bald spots, though). Wait it out :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by