Reduced egg laying

SliceOHeaven

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 18, 2013
Anyone? I have 16, under-a-year hens who have been laying regularly for about 3 months. Once, I got 15 out of 16 laying..
but it's been consistently 12-13 a day. Now it's 7 or 8 for the last week! Everything seems to be the same..no one's molting..
it is getting warmer but they have shade in their large pen outside.. 5 nesting boxes (they use about 3) They eat Layena crumbles
and some scratch in the afternoon.. treats are meal worms and a flock block. I have BRs, Buff Orps., Blk Austs, EEs, Gold LcdWydots.
Is this normal for them to "take a break" already?

Thanks,
Shelley at SliceO'Heaven

donrae

Hopelessly Addicted
Premium member
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
Southern Oregon
It's not normal to have decreased production at this age and time of year (are you in the States?). Have you looked in the pen for a hidden nest?

JadedPhoenix

Songster
7 Years
Oct 29, 2012
Tyro-Lexington, NC
Anyone? I have 16, under-a-year hens who have been laying regularly for about 3 months. Once, I got 15 out of 16 laying..
but it's been consistently 12-13 a day. Now it's 7 or 8 for the last week! Everything seems to be the same..no one's molting..
it is getting warmer but they have shade in their large pen outside.. 5 nesting boxes (they use about 3) They eat Layena crumbles
and some scratch in the afternoon.. treats are meal worms and a flock block. I have BRs, Buff Orps., Blk Austs, EEs, Gold LcdWydots.
Is this normal for them to "take a break" already?

Thanks,
Shelley at SliceO'Heaven
Just because they are not showing signs of molting yet doesn't mean that they are not gearing up for it. It is time, age-wise, for them to hit that first really good molt. At any rate, it is perfectly natural, especially for non-hybrid breeds, to take breaks every so often.

SliceOHeaven

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 18, 2013
Yes, Donrae, it occurred to me that they might be laying other than in the boxes, but I've searched their large pen and the coop.. Yes, I'm in Calif. The only reason I'm concerned is that I've started selling the eggs .. just to pay expenses..and all of a sudden people are coming out of the woodwork for them and I'm not able to deliver! LOL The hens appear healthy and happy! Sheesh!

Last edited:

SliceOHeaven

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 18, 2013
Jaded, I guess I'll wait and see if some of them do start to molt... thanks.
Shelley

Top Bottom