Reducing Feeding Costs

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jbabco50, Aug 15, 2014.

1. jbabco50

jbabco50 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    Byron, MN
    My 11 soon to be 18 Chickens eat A LOT!! I need advice on how to reduce feeding costs while still keeping them in there 400sq feet run. Please reply with chicken treats, feeds, ideas, and more. Thanks

2. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

Might I enquire what you are feeding them? Chickens eat to satisfy a daily calorie intake, so they will eat less of a feed that has more calories and more of a feed that has less. Treats such as store bought ones, i.e. mealworms are just too expensive for every day use. Garden treats are ok, but the bird needs to be eating a complete feed ration every day first. Scratch is usually to low in protein to be used as a food, it is cheap… but you are getting what one pays for as well.

Perhaps if feed cost is an issue, you might consider not adding more birds to your flock. It is false economy to feed birds other than a commercially prepared daily ration.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    x2! Good commercial feed and oyster shell on the side. Free range if possible. Other feeds/ scratch/ treats are extra. Food and shelter are basic husbandry, not to be left out. Fewer birds, and pay attention to individual productivity so you're not feeding pets unless that's part of your plan. Mary

4. jbabco50

jbabco50 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    Byron, MN
    Purina laying feed is the feed that im using, i also give them lots of table scraps and small tree branches. I am 14 and sell the eggs to people for 3$ a dozen. I am trying to find a point to make profit with the chickens, so i would have to get more chickens to do this. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by