Reducing the DUST??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicken-owner-31, Jan 5, 2011.

1. chicken-owner-31

chicken-owner-31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    I had NO IDEA that 30 little bantam chicks could produce SO MUCH DUST!!!!!! It has covered everything in my house that doesn't have a door blocking it off, despite repeated attempts to vaccum (and I have a Dyson!!) I have not had to worry about the smell, noise, or anything else that I was worried about with brooding in the house. But the dust is too much!

These guys are slated to go to the coop next week, but I'm thinking this will be the last group brooded in the house. Is there any special trick that helps with reducing the dust?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Not that I ever found. I'll never brood in the house again, for sure, for just this reason. I'd probably put them out a week early. After watching my week olds never going under their mama during the day, I think they can tolerate a lot more than we think. They are now 5 weeks and have been outdoors in wind, cold and rain all day for at least two weeks.

3. chicken-owner-31

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    I still have to make the ramp to the coop and throw the hay down and they will be going out. It poured buckets here today, or it probably would have happened already!

I do have a "shed" type thing that I can brood them in. Hopeing that less number of birds = less dust. I will never do 30 again, but didn't find anyone to go in with me on the order when I wanted them. I'm too impatient. [​IMG] My hubby calls me "microwave woman." Haha!

4. soap&eggs

soap&eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    the dust is overwelming for sure...and we are breathin it in ..yuck....i try & keep brooders really clean..meaning daily clean outs..but still dust everywhere...normally i set up brooders in empty bedroom..and hang old sheets draped down like tents..the sheets do help but still the dust comes into other rooms ..other then keeping all chicks outside no cure that i know of..sorry no help.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I only raise chicks in the spring or summer and I raise them outside. On our screened porch they are protected from predators and as long as I am careful with the heat lamps they do absolutely fine. I just couldn't handle them in the house, even if I didn't have two dogs and two cats in the house that are always looking for a quick meal.
    I've only lost one brooding them on the porch and it died the second day I had them. I believe it died from complications from shipping stress.

6. chicken-owner-31

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    Yea, my cornish x were brooded outside in the shed thingy we have. But it was REALLY warm back then. I threw them out in the coop when they were only about 4 weeks old. Only lost one. Have no idea what happened. He was just gone! [​IMG]

Hubby is REALLY paranoid when it comes to electric heat anything, so I don't know if I want to brood outside unless it is hot outside. But I love the babies! [​IMG]

Maybe only having a handful instead of THIRTY will make a difference. Surely it would! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by