1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Reducing the flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hawcer, Aug 25, 2011.

1. hawcer

hawcer In the Brooder

Aug 24, 2011
    I have 15 ,1 month old Bantam chicks that I will need to reduce down to a smaller amount before they get much bigger.

I have :
    5 Sebrights(2 males and 3 females)
    5 D'uccles(2 males and 3 females)
    5 Sultans( gender not determined)

I would like to keep at least a male/female pair of each and maybe an extra female per breed. It would be nice to keep all the females, but space is limited.

I will either give away the rest or take them to the local weekend farmers market. What's a fair asking price, $5.00 each?

My son wants to possibly show some in 4H, Would crooked toes be a defect he would be counted off for? I can't talk him out of keeping one of his favorites(Sebright male) that has 1 crooked toe per foot. I would prefer to keep the other male with perfect feet. Idk...

Help!

2. Kavellion

Kavellion Chirping

Jan 31, 2011
    Drummond, OK
    I would try listing what you dont want on craigslist. I have sold extras that way. On more unusual breeds you can also get a high price on a roo as people my have lost the one roo the had for their hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by