Redwood Incubator circa 1940s? what is a good price?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by vpeterson, Aug 29, 2010.

1. vpeterson

vpeterson Chillin' With My Peeps

I was just at a garage sale that had a redwood incubator for $600. It looked like about 1940s era. It could hold 400 eggs. It had all of the trays but was missing the hatching box and the container that holds the water. I don't had a picture of it but it was in very good shape and the guy said he used it for 30 years and had very high hatch rates. I am very tempted. Is $600 a fair price?

2. reesepoultry

reesepoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    I don't think so not if he used it for 40 yrs. It is very well used and has tons of bacteria in it from his hatches. You can buy a good cabinet incubator for cheaper that works just as well. I would never pay that most for a very well used incubator.

this is just my opionon. I think it is over priced though.

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I would offer what you think is fair, with that said there is no harm in offering a much lower price and then coming up if nessesary in small increments. why pay more if you don't have to, plus you must take into consideration any repairs that have to made, regardless if he say's it works great, until you get it home. Garage sale price for me would be $200.00 then work up in $25.00 jumps. JMO

AL

4. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Redwood incubators are great! I have 3 of them and absolutely love them. But he is asking too much. I wouldnt pay anymore than $400 for it. And that is still high to me.

5. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:Did you come to find me?....LOL

6. TCollier

TCollier Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    Franklin, Ohio
    I agree with ReesePoultry for that price you can buy a nice cabinet incubator brand new from GQF. If you need to take the price list printed out from GQF and show him that brand new with turners and all you can get for that price.

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    im agreeing with everyone else-brand new for 600$ 2-300$ for a 40 yr old used product missing supplies that you have to buy-Id even go 200$ IMO

8. vpeterson

vpeterson Chillin' With My Peeps

So you don't think that there is any advantage to having the redwood itself as opposed to the sportsman that looks like metal and plastic from the picture. The wood is supposed to swell to help controll the humidty. Also if somethink breaks on it , will the less complicated antique incubator be easier to repair?

9. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:No.................. The newer type bators are built very well (GQF) and are made of wood no plastic and last many many yrs. The redwood itself is not a big selling point as redwood back in the day was a cheap wood and replacement parts for those old bators will have your head spinning. It looks like an Ok incubator but nowhere near that astronomical price you seem to be trying to justify paying. Imagine how you will feel if you get it for a very fair $ of $200.00 instead of $600.00 Then you can feel good about it.

AL

10. TCollier

TCollier Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    Franklin, Ohio
    Is there a ready supply of parts for the old incubator? I know there are plenty of parts for the QGF Cabinets. Plus they have a warranty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by