redwood incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bandbaustin, Jun 6, 2011.

1. bandbaustin

bandbaustin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Valparaiso, IN
    I just picked up a sears redwood incubator from a bird swap for $75. It has 4 trays and says it will hold 400 eggs. It runs fine but the temp is staying around 100.4. Which way do I turn the knob to get the temp to come down to 99.5. Thank you

2. breedlovefarm

breedlovefarm Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2011
    Buckley, WA
    Does it have two wafers and two dials? Is it a Leahy? Tell me more and I may be able to help you.

3. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    try it one way, then if that doesn't work, try it the other. just make note of how many turns you make.

if it's like this one, you'll be very happy (provided everything is in working order). of note, if it is like this one and has the original fan motor, there will be two brass or copper holes at the front and rear (on top), that you will need to place a drop of oil (we use 3-in-1 oil) twice a day.

[​IMG]

we just hatched our first ever batches in this one, and it kept it at exactly 99F 100% of the time. ours was being used the year before last, but was still exact on when my dad picked it up this spring. we have had to make no adjustments to the wafer.

also, with adjustment of the vents in the front and top, filling the front 2 trays will keep you at 50% humidity (at least in our type climate - SW Michigan), and filling all 3 trays will allow you to boost it to 70% with all vents just an 1/8 of the way cracked open.

edited to say: i know it says brower and your says sears, but it is my understanding that a number of different places sold Leahy machines with their own brand label

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  4. bandbaustin

May 21, 2009
    Valparaiso, IN
    It is similar to that one but has two vent holes in the front. It is now holding 100 degrees on the dot. I took the eggs from my LG and put them in it. It has four trays with a turners that you pull on which causes the egg to roll. It has three water trays on top and has been holding around 60% pretty steadily with both vents fully open. I am very pleased so far. It does need a good cleaning up but I couldnt wait to get eggs in it. I paid 75 for it at a bird swap.

5. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    ours has vents in the front, they're just closed. they're the silver rectangles towards the bottom of the door. the vents on the front work in conjunction with the vents on the top to ventilate fresh air through it. we had the top 4 and the front 2 vents open with the first 2 trays filled (smaller trays) and were steady at 50%.

good luck and let us know how you do! [​IMG]

6. bandbaustin

May 21, 2009
    Valparaiso, IN
    i definately will let u know how we do. I am so excited. It does not have vents on the top. Just on the front. It is a single wafer thermostat

7. CatDaddyAlbert

CatDaddyAlbert NoFeathersRuffled

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    Just my opinion but if it is exactly at 100 degrees and you are looking for 99.5 I would not worry about a half a degree. Unless it is truly a calibrated scientific thermometer it could be off by that much. I pay upwards of $100 for scientific thermometer/combination wet bulb hygrometers and I will still get one that is off after the test I run it through.

Again just my opinion.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  8. Lightfoote

Lightfoote Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    Quote:Honestly if the temp is staying nailed at 100.4 F, you have no problems. You could incubate your eggs from day one at that temp and the only thing that might happen is that some would hatch a day early. Really, hatching eggs are very safe from 99.5 to 101.

A broody hen setting a clutch of eggs has a core body temp of about 103, though by the time her feathers etc...diffuse the body heat, it is likely (again) between 99.5 and 101, maybe occasionally 102, and occasionally below 99.5 when/while she ventures off the nest once daily.

Lightfoote

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Do you have a picture? [​IMG]

10. bandbaustin

May 21, 2009
    Valparaiso, IN
    here are a couple i took with my phone real quick