1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Redwood Montgomery Ward 65LZ 3665B

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Karitcake, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Karitcake

Karitcake Hatching

Jul 30, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My husband and I have decided to start raising our own poultry and we where talking with one of our neighbors about buying an incubator. He called the next day and said his mother, a very sweet 88 year old lady, wanted to know if we would like to have her husbands old incubator. He said that she was excited about the thought that her husbands incubator would get some use. Apparently he hatched thousands of eggs and dearly loved to do it and took much pride in providing several counties with good hatches. Anywho, we said we would be honored and went and had a nice visit and picked up this beautiful furniture like incubator. Now, I was raised on a farm and we had several broody hens we used and some small store bought incubators. I have never seen one like this. Any help with identifying the age and how to tell if it functions correctly or any manuals would be greatly appreciated. On the top of the unit are two knobs that have arrows telling u which way to turn to increase the temp, there are two, what I assume, are wafer thermostats direct beneath the knobs. There are 4 vents on the top and two in the front. The cord has been replaced with one that has a ground. The fan is in the top and blows across the two thermostats. There are four drawers with two turning rods. What I assume is the water pan sit on a rack above the heating element. There is a thermometer that hangs from a brace in front of a double paned window on the door. There are no gaskets and I do not see any evidence that there ever where any. So that's all I know. Please help:idunno

2. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Songster

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    wow awesome! I would love an incubator like that. Have you tried googling the name and part number with 'instruction manual' or similar?

in my signature there is a link that says the Dry Incubation method. the gentleman who wrote that article, used a Redwood incubator. I hope it helps.

3. Karitcake

Karitcake Hatching

Jul 30, 2014
    I've tried every different way to look it up with no luck. Thanks for answering and I'm going to check out you're link right now:)

4. Chickenlady60

Chickenlady60 Hatching

Apr 27, 2015
    Hi, I have one exactly like it. Got it from a cousin about 30 years ago. we don't use it, I bought it from his folks estate sale for $40. It had all the parts, and has some sort of glass tube that I suppose was used to provide water/moisture while incubating. I just refinished it today and wrote the model number, etc. down from the front brass plaque. If you don't get it working, it makes a great conversation piece! Saw one completely redone at an antique show for $700. They suggested it's use as an island for the kitchen or a bar. (Which is how I'll use ours). I love mine. Especially now that I've refinished it! (My husband and I raise chickens for Tyson and I love anything to do with chickens)
    Good luck on getting that going. The wires looked a little "iffy" on ours. I was scared to plug it in!
    ~ Becky

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: