Reedy Chicken Coop (with Chickens!)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JReedy72, Apr 1, 2009.

1. JReedy72

JReedy72 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2009
    Hopewell, VA
    Hello everyone! I am finally adding a few pics of our almost complete coop. I say almost complete because I still have to add the run and a few other things when my girls get old enough to need it. We put them outside a couple days ago when we finished this.

Here are my girls when I first got them. Aren't they cute?

[​IMG]

Here is the coop from both sides. It is 4'x4', and is 33" off the gound. Right now we have a 4'x4' enclosed area under the coop for a run. In a few weeks, we will add an 8'X4'(or bigger - not sure yet) run to the side. This is a first effort as we have never had chickens before. I am learning as I go! You may be able to notice that I need some touch up paint on the front, but who's looking? The inside has a hole in the floor which leads to the outdoor part. I have just now taken the cover off of the hole, but the girls have no figured out how to go down the ladder yet. I also have their food and water in there for now (obviously, or, well, they would starve.) I am using a gerbil water bottle and it is working great. I had to make a little stand for it out of a couple pieces of wood and some of the wire used for the bottom. It works great as a holder while they are inside. Eventually I will get a few of them and hook them to the outside of the run.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the girls today. Okay, not quite as cute, but, "really cool" according to my son. They are growing like weeds and eating a LOT these days.

[​IMG]

Anyway, let me know what you think. I am going to paint the egg door red eventually as I think it looks funny white.

And so, there it is.

God bless,

Jason

2. Grammahen

Grammahen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Southern New Hampshire
    That looks great! You are just a few weeks behind you. Aren't you amazed at how fast they grow? Ours are growing in their feathers a bit. They look so "unkept". Your chicks look lovely! What kind are they? We too are in the planning/building stages of our pen. We have 4 chicks and our pen will be 8x16.
    I love your coop! [​IMG]

3. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Can you post the dimensions of the coop itself? I would like to have something like for the silkies, if they ever grow up!

4. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    That is just beautiful!

The ramp looks very very steep though. Of course, you can fix that when you extend the run. I think you may have a few tumbling chickens until then, unless they are more graceful than mine, who can manage to roll down a ramp that's only at about a 20 degree incline.

Nice job, those are some lucky chickens!

5. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Very nice coop and run [​IMG]

6. mac80103

mac80103 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2009
    Colorado
    Very cool coop and Chicks...keep us all updated![​IMG]

7. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    [​IMG] very cool!

8. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it is beautiful! Great Job! I would love to see it when you add the additional run.

9. columbusguys

columbusguys Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2009
    Columbus
    Oh, a door in a door! A perfect solution to a problem I am having. I think I will borrow your idea. Thanks for posting your coop pictures!

10. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

You should enter it in the next coop contest so it can end up on the coop pages. I loved getting to see all the small coops there for inspiration while I was building mine. I know others would love to see it, and the coop pages are an easy way to see them without all the wading through the posts in the forums.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by