1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Refelctive foil insulation- anyone use this for their coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Noymira, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    In order for that type of insulation to work, there needs to be air space next to the foil, so you shouldn't put it between the studs directly against the roof. But if you placed it over the studs, that could work.

3. Noymira

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Quote:So if I staple it to the studs (not sitting flush with the exterior wall) I can then screw paneling right on top of it? Or does there need to be air space on both sides?

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    It is reasonable to use on the underside of a metal roof if you like, staplegunned or screwed-thru-battens to the undersides of the trusses or rafters.

I would not really suggest it so much for the walls, for the reasons described previously regarding installation and the chickens peck at regular bubblewrap and mess it up so I strongly suspect they'd do the same to this kind if it was not covered. Also you may well be able to get better bang for your buck from regular insulation (batts or rigid)

The main virtues of the foil bubblewrap stuff are that a) it is flexible so can be wrapped around ductwork and such, and b) it gives reasonable r-value *for something very thin* and is thus helpful in locations where there is only *room* for something very thin.

JMHO, good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. Noymira

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Quote:Thanks Pat! I think maybe I will use it for the roof, that would be easy and save us some money. I'll still look for other options on the walls, although it would be covered if we did use it there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by