Referbished Playhouse Coop under construction (pics)...ideas welcomed.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickengal, Jun 22, 2010.

1. chickengal

chickengal Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    We are referbishing a playhouse that is 8'x6'. I really want to make it cute and functional for the 12 chicks that we have. There are two windows on the front and one in the back. The roof has a vent strip at the top. I am going to add a run out the back and possibly let them use the back window to enter and exit...or should I add a little door near the floor for them to enter and exit? I had thoughts of putting hardware cloth around the bottom of the house and letting the chickens go under the house for shade. My father is trying to talk me out of it. He says it would be hard to clean out under the house. He also said if one were to die under there it would be hard to get it out. What are your thoughts? There is probably 14-18 inches under the house and I have bantam chicks. I need to decide where to put the roosts and I want to add a poop board. I also need to add nesting boxes. I would like to access the nesting boxes from the outside.

The playhouse being delivered:

[​IMG]

Ready to start referbishing:
    [​IMG]

The floor needs replacing:
    [​IMG]

My dad and daughter cleaning up some recycled wood:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  2. JanetSmithery

JanetSmithery Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2010
    Eugene, OR
    If you're planning a run that doesn't have a cover or planning to free range, I'd probably leave it open so that they could run under the coop if they noticed a hawk or something. However...I'm kinda with your dad. I would absolutely hate trying to clean anything out under there, or trying to safely retrieve a sick/injured/dead bird. Especially if I had to lay on my belly in the chicken run to do so! Ick.

It's just personal preference, though. If you're willing and able...go for it.

3. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    I think 18" up is good! My chickens do not poop under their coop- but they dig their dust baths and "cool holes" there. IF (heaven forbid it happen to you) a chicken did die under there, you could rake it out. Mine is 4 x 8, and I can reach all the areas with a stick or a rake. Mine LOVE being underneath there during the heat of the day. I can also put their food and oyster shell there to keep it dry if the weather is threatening.

4. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    What if they lay under there? Would you be able to get to the eggs?

5. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    I think it would be harder to preditor proof that under the coop area. Unless you are in Arizona, I don't think it necessary to give them shade, other than the shade in the coop. Perhaps you could situate your coop & run under a tree?

BTW - what a cute, cute house!

6. bluebird

bluebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Valparaiso, IN
    We have two banty hens and four pigeons that live happily in their refurbished playhouse.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  7. my3chickens

my3chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    I agree with your dad, I have a small space under my coop and it's hard on the back to bend down and try and clean under it. I would think with the tree next to the coop you would get plenty of shade.

Be sure to keep us updated with pics when you're done!!

8. chickengal

chickengal Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    Debbie,
    What a super cute playhouse coop. I hope ours turns out that cute! I still keep going back and forth about letting the chickens under the coop. The tree beside the playhouse doesn't provide much shade because of the way the sun moves. It gets some morning shade until about 12:00 and then it is pretty much in the sun until sunset. We replaced the floor today and fixed a small problem with the roof. We are probably going to cut a small door in the back for the chicken to go in and out instead of using the back window with a ramp. Then we will design the run. I am trying to decide how big to make it. It will probably go streight out the back behind the playhouse. We are also tring to decide where to put the roost. If we put it across the side between the front window and the back wall, will the draft from the window be too much? I guess if it gets cold in the winter we can cover it with plastic. Thoughts?
    Here is a picture of my son nailing down the new (recycled) floor. (I am thinking about putting the roost across from that window to the opposit side with the nesting boxes and poop board under it.)
    [​IMG]

Here are our chickens checking out the progress. You can see the chicks in the tractor behind:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  9. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    that thing has a ton of potential. lots of charactor. keep posting updates

10. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    We have a coop that the chickens can go under - they LOVE it! They do lots of dust bathing under there - I've never had to clean under it because it's all dirt and when they dust bathe, they mix it all up. I'm really happy our chickens can go under the coop - that is easily their favorite place when it's hot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by