Reformed killer...PICS

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by willkatdawson, Nov 28, 2008.

1. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    We have 2 shep mix and 1 pure golden ret dogs. The mixed breed dogs were the worst about killing, baby wild turkeys, rabbits, chipmunks..to many to list. I said I would never let the chickens free range when the dogs were loose on the property. Boy was I wrong. The dogs LOVE the chickens! The chickens lived in the run for about 2 months where the dogs could see, smell, but not touch them. Once we decided to try and let them out together I took each dog one by one and made them lay on their backs, then I held chicken over them and poked them with my finger. The dogs have never looked like they would like to hurt the chickens, even when the chickens run right by them with their wings flapping. The dogs take turns watching them and they never leave the chickens unattended. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. chickorama

chickorama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    That's impressive!! Our dog will never reform! She chased one of our chickens around last week and scared it to bits and plucked its back bare... She is staying in a kennel in the house now, since she is too bare to be out in the cold at night.

3. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Our Shep-mix is the same way with our chickens - she's a wonderful protector and has never tried to hurt them, even when the chickens steal HER treats!!! My lab on the other hand - he'd get them in a heartbeat.

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Beautifull pictures. Thanks for shareing them. The first one...that dog looks like its dareing someone, or something to try to get its chickens! I dont think I would try! Very pretty dog.

5. willkatdawson

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    You're right. While I was taking the picture there was something in the edge of the woods moving around, most likely a songbird or something like that. All the dogs are on high alert when they're on duty..Thanks, I think shes pretty also. Pound pups are great!

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Great pictures. I have been lucky. Our daughter had moved to a place where she couldn't have animals, so we inherited her dog. The dog was a10 yr old Walker Hound. It would walk by and glance at the chickens but never tried to make contact, in fact it would avoid them. Recently it died at 15 years old. We have had critters around and she was a barn dog. She did not come into the house. She would wander the property day and night. I think that is why we never really had a preditor problem. I have seen plenty on the property but nothing has bothered the birds until recently.

7. willkatdawson

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    I think you're right. We live on 30 acres surrounded by developments. Some of the creatures have no choice than to come and hunt and live on our land. The dogs make all the difference in what comes into our yard. I am going to get a field cam to see what actually moves thru our land. Are you planning on getting another dog?

8. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    Thats awesome.I "some" of our dogs can sence how we feel about our chickens and they think its there job to gaurd them.
    Now I said"some" dogs.

9. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    Our dog guarded our chickens faithfully. She would even growl at me occasionally when I got too close to the chickens until she figured out that I usually had treats when I came. I finally decided she only growled when I didn't have treats. What a putz? Those chickens even corrupted the dog![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by