1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Refresher course- the second half.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by yotetrapper, May 10, 2008.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I'm on day 13 now, and since I saw developing babies on day 10, I'm getting nervous. I want to candle again, as I removed no eggs the first candle on day 10. On what day should I candle again, where I will know beyond a doubt there are no babies in eggs?

Also, the HATCH. Is it day 18 that you remove the turner? I'm rusty on my knowledge of the hatch. You take out the turner, and then you dont open the bator no more, right? Is day 18 also when you up the humidity?? And up to what, 70%? What about temps for the last three days? Or do you not up temp and humidity till day 21?

Please talk me through this, as I'm getting real nervous over my bator full of mutts lol.

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I would candle again at day 14, then you can toss the clears, if you still have a questionable one I would mark it and you can toss it at day 18...on the evening of day 18 is when you take your turner out of the incubator and lay the eggs down on the wire....

Humidity should range in between 40 to 50% the first 18 days...

On the evening of day 18, set them out of the turner, candle them one last time and lay on the wire floor of the bator..this is also when you add water to get the humidity between 60 to 70% range...

You don't open the incubator anymore...especially after they start pipping...

Sit on your hands and have lots of patience!!...after they pip it can take 24 hours for them to get out of the shells..

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  3. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Ok... stupid question. What exactly IS pipping? When they start cracking the shells, moving eggs, what?

Also, I've been keeping my temp at about 101 in my still air... is that correct for the last 3 days as well?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by