Refrideration with fertilised eggs.....please...need some advice....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Luv for Poultry, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Luv for Poultry

Luv for Poultry Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2014
    Hello all,

I have my incubator up and ready and my duck eggs are ready to go in...however, this may have been a stupid thing to do but I washed my duck eggs (which I collected yesterday morning) and put them in our fridge (4 degrees). Will this have killed the embryo inside....I hope I haven't harmed it:( really worried about what will happen..........HELP[​IMG][​IMG]

2. mollybuck

mollybuck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    WNY
    your fridge is 4 deg? or your freezer? I would think refrigerated at normal temps for a short while.. wouldnt be too harmful to them. I hatched a few ducks this spring.. the eggs I got were covered in mud.. so I decided to try washing 3, not washing 3 and leaving 2 that werent too bad alone...

only one of the kind of clean, and all 3 of my washed eggs hatched. none of the ones I left alone did. so i wouldnt worry too much about that part. Good luck with your hatching!

3. Luv for Poultry

Aug 20, 2014
    Thank you very much for your advice....yeh, my fridge seems to be 4 deg......:/ Thank you again[​IMG]

4. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Set the eggs. At the worst you will have a complete failure. At the best you'll get some ducklings. The middle ground is to do nothing but eat the eggs.

4 degrees C is about 40 Fahrenheit and that is not low enough in my opinion to immediately kill an embryo. Remove the eggs NOW if not sooner, then set them in a quite (no vibrations please) and dark location till they come back up to 55 degrees F. Turn the eggs 3 or 5 or 7 times a day for the next 48 hours. However many times you turn your eggs daily, always turn them an odd number of times.

I am as much if not more worried that you plugged up the eggshells' external pours by washing the eggs.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. darkbluespace

darkbluespace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Portland Oregon
    I accidentally "refrigerated" a batch of eggs in a cooler for a day, I was trying to keep them cooler than my car, but not cold... ooops! Those eggs ALL hatched, minus one that was clear! I think they will likely be fine : )

6. Luv for Poultry

Aug 20, 2014
    thank you very much for replying and I will take your advice onboard x[​IMG]

7. Luv for Poultry

Aug 20, 2014
    thank you for your advice..I won't wash them again, thank you xx[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by