Refridgerator ot NOT??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by afishel, Jul 21, 2010.

1. afishel

afishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Spencer, Ind
    [​IMG] my dad is collecting eggs fro me so I can incubate them. He gets 6 eggs a day I would like to have 2 or 3 days worth.
    So while he is collecting them for me to have enough they should not be put in fridge RIGHT??
    or does it matter? I would not think u could incubate eggs after they have been in the fridge???
    but [​IMG] i dunno!!

help my 1st time

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  2. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    Keep them fat end up in a cool dark place, but not the fridge.

3. afishel

Jul 15, 2010
    Spencer, Ind
    ok GREAT!!! Thank you SarahIrl
    greatly appreciated!!!

4. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    I keep mine in the basement, since it's the only cool place in our house XD

5. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    no do not keep them in the fridge if you are gonna incubate them. Put them in a shoe box and wrap each egg in newspaper to keep them from breaking. And then put them in a cool place.. like the basement or somthing. [​IMG] you can only collect them for about a week though. [​IMG]
    good luck with your eggs!!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  6. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    actually, I agreed with all the above advice, till last week, where there were several posts said, that being in the fridge did not do any harm. I thought it was the kiss of death. mk

7. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    i would generally say keep them in a cool place, but not the 'fridge, but I have successfully hatched eggs stored in the 'fridge for a few days.

Sandie

8. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    People can and have hatched fridge eggs, but if you want to give the eggs the best chance to develop just store them in a cool place fat end up and turn them a couple of times a day. I think the fridge could be a better option then sitting out in 100 degree weather, but inside an aircondioned room, basement or garage will give you better hatch rates.

9. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Quote:Agreed. If you want to read about neat Fridge hatched eggs.. Search "Trader Joe's eggs" on here, its pretty neat.
    Make sure you incubate them with the air sack up if you use a turner!

10. afishel

Jul 15, 2010
    Spencer, Ind
    Thank you ALL!

I spoke with my dad tonite
    I asked hime to put them fat end up in his cellar!! it is cool in there and DARK too! i will not be going to get them for a few days till he gathers a few HOPEFULLY 2 DOZEN he is only getting about 5 eggs a day right now. SO I plan on picking them up Sunday morning.

NOW another ??

since they will not be shipped only gently carried and placed in my car then drive home and carry in will they need to sit for 24 hrs to settle or can I put them in the incubator MON mornin????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by