Refrigerate Eggs or Not

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by realnewbie, Mar 3, 2009.

1. realnewbie

realnewbie New Egg

Mar 3, 2009
    After much debate with an inlaw of mine, I say Yes, you should refrigerate eggs, she says no.
    Is it a matter of taste or is it necessary for freshness?

2. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    [​IMG] Well i say no dont but it really depends on ones taste they will stay good longer in the cold 45 or so but mine dont last that long within a week no more than 10 days they are a distand memory. I also belive that the cold is what gives the "store" eggs its pail color

3. hooksetz

hooksetz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    I refrigerate mine, just because they are fertile, my wife would crap her pants if she saw a blood spot. So I usually fridge 'em within a week on the ones we're gonna eat. It doesn't change anything on mine that we've noticed except stop the forming of the embryo.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  4. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    "They" say an egg kept on the counter for 24 hours will lose as much freshness as an egg kept in the refrigerator for 7 days. You can seal an egg's pores to slow down the aging process, but the egg will still need to be kept in a cool, dry location.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have left my eggs out for as long as a month with no refrigeration as long as I haven't washed them and have left the bloom on them which is a natural protection from bacteria getting into the egg. If I wash the eggs I refrigerate them right away.

6. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    We do not put them in the fridge !!! They are much FLUFFIER when we scramble them at room temp !!!!

7. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    i think it has alot to do with WHERE you live..
    because here in the desert, i have seen eggs start to develope if they are left on the counter.. very gross to crack an egg for breakfast and see an eyeball in the egg.... seen it happen more than once... freaked me out,, now i wont eat an egg unless i KNOW it has been in the fridge...
    so i put all the ones i am gonna eat in the fridge within 24 hours of collecting them,, if i dont they get thrown to the coyotes...

8. Chic Chick

Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    East Central Alberta
    Quote:LOL it sounds like you don't even need an incubator....just mist the eggs once in a while and sit back and watch the chicks hatch [​IMG]

9. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    For every day on the counter at room temp (not middle of summer with no ac on) they age equivalent to a week in the fridge. Eggs are good for about 6months in the fridge. There should be no taste difference or anything between keeping them on the counter or the fridge. They just last longer. The only exception like said is if you keep them in really warm temps from not air conditioning your house or not bringing them inside.

Refrigerating will not prevent blood spots. It might actually lengthen how long they last in the egg. The blood spot is present when the egg is laid. It's a bit of blood or tissue that broke off when the egg was forming. They will fade over time so a bright blood spot is a sign of a fresh egg.

10. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    i HAVE hatched LIZARD eggs that way..my incubator was full.. so i put the lizard eggs in a plastic box (with small vents) and put them in the "warm" room of my house in the summertime... hatched every one... had over 100 baby dragons that year

we do COOL the house.. we dont have "airconditioning",, but we do have "swamp coolers" keeps most of the house cool.. the kitchen is the warmest room, because of the airflow and cooking..
    so i jsut make sure the eggs get into the fridge within 24 hours....
    my friend was the first to give me a 1/2 developed egg,, from the eggs sitting on the counter... it happend to mine once.. never again, its so gross!!!!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by