refrigerated duck eggs...updated...lesson learned...Pg. 3

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by duck&chickencrazy, Mar 26, 2009.

1. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    well basically i am going to incubate 6 duck eggs to see if they will hatch...i put them in today and i will keep you guys updated...i also put in 12 other duck eggs that i have been keeping to incubate. o and these guys are all mutts
    4-2-09
    Well i have candled them and it seems that all of them have some kind of veining in them and they look like they are growing...i did forget to mention that these were also washed so i will see what happens with that as well.
    4-6-09
    It appears that all six of these eggs are growing and developing quite nicely...and these eggs sat in the fridge for i dont know how long...2-5 days...and they were washed...they are doing great tho....
    4-14-09
    They are still growing strong and all of the 19, even the refrigerated eggs, are doing really really well...its a staggered hatch and some will be hatching next week

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  2. Sonya

Sonya Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Prague, Oklahoma
    I did that 6 days ago...I put in 6 welsummer chicken eggs and added 4 fresh pekin duck eggs and 2 refrigerated duck eggs....I figured it will make an interesting experiment.

Sonya

3. duck&chickencrazy

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    has anyone had success with refridgerated eggs before...if you have what was your success rate???

4. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    I have never tried them, but keep us posted, I think we would all love to know how it turns out. I was always told that when refrigerated they get to cold.

Good luck

5. Bantymama

Bantymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    MN
    A few years ago i got 28 pheasant eggs from a local pheasant farm. When i went to pick them up on a monday he told me to put them in the bottom of the fridge and leave them there untill saturday then take them out and let them sit at room temp and set them sunday night. I had 19 hatch.

6. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    Next time try not putting them in the frig, let them sit bottom up for 24 hours and them stick them in the incubator. I got 50 2 years ago and hatched out 45.

7. duck&chickencrazy

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    o and i forgot to mention that the other 12 eggs are doing great...11 of them are fertile and i guess i couldnt help it but i put 2 more duck eggs in and they are fertile as well...so now i am up to 19 ducks growing...its all very exciting... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. momof247371

momof247371 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    i have had eggs hatch that were in the fridge. There was 14 of them in there for 4 days and all but 3 hatched. its amazing isnt it!

9. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm Incubating for the first time, and i have been doing a lot of reading and i have read about putting eggs in the freg, if i remember right the temp should'nt below 50 the best spot would be the bottom draws and some fregs have humidity control on the draws or the door where the temps are higher.

I did take out 3 eggs from the freg and put in with the rest to incubated, I marked them so will see what happens. they where only in the freg for a day.

10. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I have hatched eggs that were put in the frig and several times I have hatched eggs that have been washed. I have tried to tell people it makes no difference but most believe the first thing they hear and never try anything else. I think that is how the bubblewrap and X-ray myths got started.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by