Refrigerated eggs...**Update pic (graphic) page 5**

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aggieterpkatie, Oct 29, 2009.

1. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Of course now that I'm starting to store eggs to set them on the 5th, my Americana hen has decided to stop laying! [​IMG] I have several of her eggs in the fridge. I'm guessing they've been there for a week or 10 days maybe.

I know it's possible to hatch refrigerated eggs, so I'm going to try to hatch them, even if it's a long shot. Question is, should I keep them in the frige until I incubate them (I'd let them come to room temp, of course) or should I take them out now and let them sit in the cool basement with the other eggs?

Darn Murphy and his law!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    It sounds like you need to go ahead and get them started if they are that old, the sooner the better chances will be for any hatching.

3. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    they are only fertile on the counter top for 8 - 10 days so I would not even try after that long in fridge.... sorry to be ms negative.

If you are set on trying.... then yes I would let them in cool basement for 24 hours before setting them in incubator..... where they will be at 99.5 for 21 days. GOOD LUCK

4. aggieterpkatie

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:Probably right. Maybe I'll just do a staggered hatch. If I set them tomorrow, they *should* be hatched before the others go on lockdown. And I'll know soon enough if they're viable or not.

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    5 day's in the fridge @ 50 degrees is about the limit.

AL

6. Fluffy-Butt-Farms

Fluffy-Butt-Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Central Florida
    do a search on here for refridgerated eggs.... i could have sworn that there were people on here that had hatched out after 14 days refridgeration. i got a test batch of fresh and refridgerated eggs, and the refridgerated eggs hatched, the fresh did not. (maybe refridgerated eggs go thru shipping better???)

but i do have some babies to prove it can work.

7. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

wew, freeze egg, perhaps they'll hatched into ice baby.

i have not test that yet but seems will lower the hatch result.

8. aggieterpkatie

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    I'm going to go home and fire up the bator and give it a go! What's the worst that can happen? [​IMG]

9. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

i think just same as usual egg
    1. exploded egg and odorful juice
    2. dead chick in half stage
    3. not growing embryo at all
    4. blood ring
    5. hatched then die several hours/days later

best
    1. healthy fluffy little sweet chick [​IMG]

10. aggieterpkatie

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:Hey there Debbie Downer. [​IMG]

Ok, 1 wouldn't happen b/c I'd take it out after I candled it and found it wasn't viable. 2. would really be sad. [​IMG] 3. Eh, so I'm out an eating-egg 4. same as 3
    5. That would stink! I'd hope it if hatched it'd live.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by