Refrigerating quail eggs

Discussion in 'Quail' started by SEP Board, May 17, 2016.

1. SEP Board

SEP Board Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2016
    For the eggs that you save for eating/cooking, do you refrigerate as soon as you collect them? Do you wash them when they're for consumption? And how long do they last in the fridge either way?

Thank you. [​IMG]

2. rhondita55

rhondita55 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2014
    Mesa Arizona
    I treat them the same way I do my chicken and duck eggs. Place in fridge as is. Wash when you use them.
    If any egg stays in the fridge for a couple weeks I do the "float" egg test. The only time I've had a floater was when a carton got shoved in back and forgotten for over a month, not sure how long, but only had 2 floaters out of the doz.

I just got a quail egg cutter and it is a dream come true.

3. SEP Board

Apr 7, 2016
    Thank you for the reply.

I'd never heard of a quail egg cutter. I've not eaten a quail egg yet as my hens have only recently started laying and I've been saving up to incubate. Are they hard to crack open? Is a cutter necessary or just a convenience?

4. Tenny24

Tenny24 Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2015
    I usually rinse mine then put them in the fridge, after about 2 weeks if they haven't been eaten I throw them, sometimes my dog eats them in between. We hard boil ours, peel the shell off and eat at work on lunch break :D

5. rhondita55

May 6, 2014
    Mesa Arizona
    Convenience. But I usually smashed the eggs trying to crack them, Now I just snip and pour out the egg. Boiled is good, but I like egg sandwiches and they are great for egg drop soup. But instead of making the egg stringy in the soup, I just drop the egg in so they are poached in the soup. The cutter was on Amazon for around $10 I think. I'm glad I got it. OH, a friend of ours from the Philippines boils them, peels and then puts them in the soup.

6. paneubert

paneubert Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2015
    Hate to hijack the thread, but I gotta vent/complain.

I have a quail egg cutter and I honestly can't seem to figure it out. Hahaha. If snip partially, leaving a little flap of eggshell, that just means I snipped some of the eggwhite into the top flap of the shell and it wants to stay up in there when I try to empty the egg into the pan or bowl. If I snip all the way, I by design also snipped a chunk of egwhite completely off, and it is REALLY going to stick in the top shell. I cant seem to do it where it is any less messy than just cracking the egg normally. I also cant get the egg to "pour" out half the time. The chunk of shell cut off isn't a large enough opening to get the egg to flow out. The egg contents seem to be held in by suction. I end up shaking it like a can of cranberry jelly/sauce at Thanksgiving, trying to overcome the vacuum, and end up breaking the yolk half the time. Am I just crazy or something? Teach me your ways.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  7. rhondita55

May 6, 2014
    Mesa Arizona
    Hey........... aren't we in the Forum to help and get help?
    It could be the brand of cutter. Can't remember what brand I have, it was from China and not a single word of english.
    Are you putting the egg up thru the bottom? cutting the pointy end? My cutter has a bevel on the underside of the bottom piece. I just stick the pointy end up thru that and clip the top clean off. My cutter part is a V shape. Yes there is a little white in the top, but considering the size of the egg, it's less than a drop. Then be sure to dip the cutter into water between each egg so that bits of shell don't get mixed in with the egg. I would take pics, but it takes 2 hands.. lol

8. SEP Board

Apr 7, 2016
    I ordered one off Ebay so that I can be the first on my block to have one [​IMG]

9. rhondita55

May 6, 2014
    Mesa Arizona
    Here is a pic of the 1 I got off Amazon. We live close warehouse and my daughter goes to ASU, She gets Prime half off so I just use Amazon a lot. got it in 2 days. They are also cigar cutters, just under a different name. LOL
    [​IMG]

10. Oreo quail

Oreo quail Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2016
    Central Virginia

I am still figuring out my cutter. I snip the pointy end and I do waste a little white. I kind of hold the egg at a 45* angle and tap the egg and yolk out. It is the same trick I learned for ketchup bottles when there were bottle and not squeeze bottles. I still break an occasional yolk. I would use scissors on a boiled egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by