Refrigeration?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Eduardo, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Eduardo

Eduardo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2009
    Well I had 12 eggs set aside for when the chicken got broody but my mom put them in the fridge. They're no good right?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  2. ~Kuromametchi~

~Kuromametchi~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Reno, NV
    no because the chicks need to stay at a constant warm temperature around like 95 - 100 degrees and when you put them in the fridge it just kinda freezes the yolk.[​IMG]

3. Eduardo

Eduardo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2009
    ~Kuromametchi~ :

no because the chicks need to stay at a constant warm temperature around like 95 - 100 degrees and when you put them in the fridge it just kinda freezes the yolk.[​IMG]

ok, thanks [​IMG]

Now how many days can I hold them before the hen gets on them? They usually lay one a day.​

4. ~Kuromametchi~

~Kuromametchi~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Reno, NV
    thats kind of a hard question cuz mine just sit on them RIGHT after they lay the eggs and when shes hungry she gets the guy to sit on the eggs.

5. shabbyfarm

shabbyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    South central Iowa
    How long were they in the fridge?? I bought eggs from a farm that were in a refrigerator and put them under a hen . . . . . . . and 5 of 10 hatched!!!!

6. AnconaDuck

AnconaDuck Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2009
    MI
    How long were they in the fridge?

We store our eggs in the basement at 55*ish and turn them for the time they are waiting for the 'bator. We had one egg that accidentally got put in the fridge before we realized we needed it in the 'bator. It still worked [​IMG]

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    They only need to be kept hot after you start incubating. For storage the best temp is in the 60s. Many people have hatched refrigerated eggs though and if your setting eggs older than 10days refrigerating will actually increase your hatch rate. I have had a 95% hatch rate from button quail eggs that were in the fridge for more than a week. I've also hatched eggs that sat in the coop below freezing for half a day. Irregardless of storage the hatch rate goes down after a week though so for the most chicks it would be better not to store them beyond a week and keep them in a cool place a bit warmer than the fridge.

8. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
  9. jonty

jonty Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2008
    Voßfeld Germany
    I quite often use eggs out of the fridge with no problem.

10. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Here are a couple of web sites that give good information on storing eggs for hatching and about incubating. I know you mentioned a broody hen, but it is still good information.

http://gallus.tamu.edu/Extension publications/b6092.pdf

http://www.ianrpubs.unl.edu/epublic/pages/publicationD.jsp?publicationId=62

You will find a lot of conflicting information on this site as there are few really hard and fast rules. Consider most of the information as guidelines. If you follow them, you will improve your odds of success, but if you don't follow them does not guarantee failure. One very good example is evident here. You are supposed to store eggs for incubation betweem 55 and 65 degrees. Many people here quote success with refrigerated eggs. Personally, I believe them. Many people store eggs for incubation at room temperature, which is above 65 degrees, and have good success. Room temperature is my preferred method. Would we have better success if we stored them at 60 degrees and at the perfect humidity. Probably, but not necessarily.

I'll give you another link about storing eggs for use. You might need to show this to your Mom so she will buy in with what I am going to suggest.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sust...ggs-a-Year-or-More-Without-Refrigeration.aspx

Eggs start to lose hatchability after 7 to 10 days of storage. Eggs stored properly for a month may hatch, but the success rate really goes down after about 10 days. This is what I meant about guidelines instead of hard and fast rules. What I'd suggest is setting up a system where you store eggs properly for hatching (for me, room temperature) until you get enough eggs to set under a broody hen. You clearly mark them with the date as you collect them so you know which one is the oldest. Every day, you put the oldest egg in the refrigerator for use as food and keep the newest egg ready to hatch. This way, you are always ready to set good eggs under a broody yet have no wasted eggs.

Depending on your breed of chicken and the individual hen, it may be years, if ever, before she goes broody.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by