Refrigeration

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Right On Reds, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Right On Reds

Right On Reds Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2009
    My hubbie is taking great pleasure providing my hens with leftovers. He's actually at the point where he's buying things he knows the hens will like to eat after he's done with his part.

So, for the past 10 days or so, he's consumed melon after melon. Watermelons at first, now cantelopes. He puts the rinds in the frig.

At first I would take the rinds and nuke them in the microwave for a few seconds to get the chill out. I was doing this as I know my parrot shouldn't have cold food going into his crop. In parrots, it can cause a fungus.

Well, I opened up the frig to find a foot high pile of melon rinds..... cantelope and watermelon.

Now my question is: for the hens, do I need to continue to warm them before feeding? Are hen crops susceptible to fungus from cold foods the way parrots are?

Thank you in advance for answering this silly, novice question!!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  2. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    how cold are the rinds?

3. Right On Reds

Right On Reds Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2009
    Refrigerator cold from being in the frig overnight.

4. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    Well I give my chickens cold rinds in the summer because it helps cool them down and in the summer they warm up pretty quick [​IMG]

5. Dragonfly Ranch

Dragonfly Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Happy Valley, CA
    I have heard of others here that actually feed frozen vegetables and fruit to help cool chickens down when its really hot. So will be interesting to see what others say.

Sandee

6. JENx

JENx Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2009
    Leicester, England
    I had exactly the same thought today as i got a slice of melon out of fridge for my chickens!

7. SimplyForties

SimplyForties Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Carroll County, Va
    I take mine straight out of the fridge and put them right in the coop. No problems yet! [​IMG]

8. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Mine too. Especially on the HOT days. Cold watermelon in their favorite!

9. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I give frozen melons in the hot summer, to help them cool off. Honestly, I would never have even thought about warming up a melon rind. Just be sure not to over feed on the treats. Their diet should consist of 90 - 95% appropriate (starter / grower / layer) feed to be nutritionally sound. This feed should be fresh (smell it) not cardboardy odor (as the vitamins break down). Never feed it if there are bugs or mold in it, as well.

10. red star11

red star11 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2008
    Medina, Ohio
    i love manda. and daniel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by