refrigerator chick!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Evelle, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    so i just wanted to tell you all about my little experament.
    so i read conflicting thing on (cant you hatch a chick from an egg from the refrigorator.) so i took 3 white leg horn eggs from my refrigorator that had been in it for 3 or more days and put them in my incubator. 22 days later i had 2 little yellow fuzzy chicks to come welcome me in the morning. the 3rd on wasnt even fertal. so my conculusion to that.. is yes you can hatch chicks from eggs that have been in the refrigorator..

just thought id share that with everyone [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  2. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    OMG, this is so interesting!! I had no idea [​IMG] . Good to know this info [​IMG]

3. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    so what was the temp. in the frig?

4. lvchicken

lvchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    Quote:x2

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

There are optimal temps for egg storage and sub optimal. I want to say optimal is 60F and 100% humidity stored less than about 10 days.

However, eggs kept over 10 days, eggs stored below freezing for an hour, eggs stored at freezing overnight have hatched, just the viability goes down. There is actually a paper which studies the viability of chicken hatching eggs after sitting in various conditions!

Congrats on your fridge chicks! I have a bunch of them too.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Congratulations! Isn't that a great feeling to "win" from an experiment like that?!?!?!

I know it's true because I've hatched Trader Joe's fertile eggs (white leghorns) which I selected from the refrigerated eggs section of the market. Do a search for "Trader Joe's or Grocery Eggs" on BYC and you'll find some threads about it. Mine hatched New Year's Day 2011. A cockerel, TJ, and three pullets I call his Josies.

7. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    Quote:hahahahahahaha LOVE THE JOISES!! [​IMG]
    i dont know what the exact temp of the frig but i know sometime i open it and the milk is slushy i want to say about 30 maybe less we keep our house at 63 even in the winter (inlaw and my parent freeze in my house in winter).

8. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I had 6 Marans eggs in the fridge for a week. 4 hatched!

9. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    refrigerate at 55 degrees or so (crisper is usually the right temp! ) ..... This doesn't work with eggs that have been scrubbed and lost their protective cover!

10. AV Brahmas

AV Brahmas Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    The Great White North
    We store all our hatching eggs in the refrigerator until we have a good set, then transfer them to the incubator all at once. A little bit of cool keeps them from starting to develop...which they will do even on a warm day in the house...and then later dying in the shell when the temperature changes and going rotten. Steady cold is better than up and down temps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by