Refrigerator fan for homemade incubador?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crazzzymike13, Sep 4, 2013.

1. crazzzymike13

crazzzymike13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Texas
    I've been thinking about making a cabinet style incubator. I'm trying to figure out what I can use and do it for cheap. Instead of the computer fans couldn't I use an old fridge fan? Or would that be too much air flow?

2. HatchCraft

HatchCraft Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2011
    North Florida
    Yes, fridge style condenser - evaporator fans are founded in sportsman and dickey incubators. In my experience you want to move a large volume of air to achieve uniform temperatures though out the cabinet. High speed fans may cause you problems during the hatch. Condenser fan typically run 1500 rpm. Just the right speed for incubation. Fan blade diameter and pitch will determine the cfm . Diameter of 6" to 7" are about right for a sportsman sized incubator.

3. dvoice

dvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Nanaimo, BC Canada
    I have my DIY cabinet set up with 2 bathroom exhaust fans. My first attempt I had problems and after reading more I understood approx CFM should be about 5X CF of incubator. I'm running 160CFM now. I have them set up a little different though. One 50cfm blows the hot air from the top heating compartment through ABS to the bottom of egg comp. the other 110CFM just blows straight down from the heating comp and I used the fan cover to diffuse the air.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by