Refugees

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by columbiacritter, Mar 12, 2011.

1. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Songster

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    My DH took this pair from a bad situation. The roo appears under a year old from his spur growth and the hen equally young. The hen is about pigeon sized. Any idea what breed or breeds they are? Is she partridge or cuckoo partirdge? Is he just red?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Songster

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    No guesses, we're leaning toward american game crosses

3. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    I was going to guess OEGB's but I'm not that experienced.

4. chickenX

chickenX In the Brooder

Mar 1, 2011
    Long Beach
    they look OEGB's to me too but it isn't a breed i've ever kept so more feedback is certainly warranted.

i really like the hen's coloration - it's rather elegant!

thank you for providing them with a better home. a special place in chicken heaven is being prepared for you.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  5. RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather

RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather Songster

Mar 19, 2010
    Maui
    Aloha,

I agree, they look like OEGB. The hen looks Silver Duckwing w/molted OEGB pattern in her. The Red roo look like Black Breasted Red OEGB, but that is hard to tell because he is in the far-ground of the picture.

I am glad that your hubby rescued the pair. That is very admirable of him. If I am not mistaken, the chicks will be sex-linked because silver is dominant over the red. So the Hens will be Red and the Roos will be silver. Great rescue and i hope they bring you joy.

Congratulations, on your new chooks.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: