1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Refurbished, low rent, donated shed/henhouse (image heavy)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Kansaseq, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Well, it's not finished, but is currently functional and housing my 6 wk old babies. People asked me to post pictures, so here it is in it's current stage, approximately 80% done. It may not be a candidate for Home and Garden, but it was FREE. I have put a lot of work into it, by myself,have to date not severed any limbs, and am pleased with the results.
    I had to rip off the old roof, disassemble the entire thing and store it for a month. Then I dragged the base and 4 walls (super heavy!) out to the coop, and reassemble it. I made a new roof (currently have heavy plastic on top as the new roof was 3 separate pieces of plywood. Eventually will get some roll roofing and give it a more permanent, less hillbilly finish). I had to make a floor and door out of left over pine shelving and fence pickets, cut a window and framed in hardware cloth, and cut a somewhat crooked pop door. I had the hardware cloth, screws, wood, and tools, so my costs have been minimal. I certainly couldn't have afforded to start from scratch.

First, the old shed[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And as it looks today[​IMG][​IMG]/22798_new_house_pop_door.jpg[/img][​IMG]
    Yes, the doorway is a little crooked, but not as much as it looks like in the photo.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The 6 week old babies in their new house.I am really glad to have taken the time to paint the inside. Makes it much brighter and clean feeling.
    The chicken compound.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  2. vickie2133

vickie2133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Corbin
    I think it looks nice, now makes me want to go finish mine.

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    That looks so great.......nice work [​IMG]

4. Lady Lavendar

Lady Lavendar Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2009
    Houston
    Non chicken question here. Do you have a Belgian Tervuren? I see what looks like one in one of the photos. They are one of my favorite breeds. My little girl passed away after 17 years last March. I miss her.

5. Kansaseq

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Quote:Absolutely! I had 3, but lost my old girl 2 years ago at 14. My second oldest will turn 14 on my birthday in June, and my youngest is 9. Tervs are my absolute favorite breed. Sorry to hear you lost your girl, but wow, 17 is awesome. You obviously were doing something right.[​IMG]

6. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Chickens aren't picky, they don't care if it slants a little just as long as it keps them dry and warm -- and doesn't fall on them in a good breeze. lol Looking good though.

7. perrym1962

perrym1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Eastview, Ky..
    I like it. I wood take one like in a minute!![​IMG]

8. chickens4me

chickens4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    Quote:Me, too! Your little ones look very happy in there. [​IMG]

9. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    that's Awesome. [​IMG]

10. Kansaseq

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Quote:I don't think it will fall over;). I had to crawl up on the roof to screw it down, and it held me just fine. And I'm not some 120lb little thing!

Thanks for the compliments_I appreciate you guy's input!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by