1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Refurbishing a outbuilding

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by petlove, Apr 12, 2008.

1. petlove

petlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2008
    Skiatook, OK
    I have an outbuilding near the house that I am going to use to house the chicks this first year. There are long 1/2 inch plywood boards nailed to 2x4 supports. I am trying to dislodge the boards from the 2 x 4s. They are nailed tight. I need advise on how to loosen the the boards from the nails. Please advise. [​IMG]

2. hobobrando

hobobrando Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Vermont
    Try using a crowbar to pry the boards off.

3. petlove

Jan 27, 2008
    Skiatook, OK
    I was trying to pry them off with a hammer. I hate to be so ignorant, but is there a crow bar in my truck stuff for tires? I am not sure what a crow bar looks like. Thanks for the tip.

4. yankeemtfarm

yankeemtfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2007
    Gettysburg,Pa
    I would try a flat bar and and hammer, start where you can get the bar started and work it out from there.

If it is nailed very tight you may need a nail puller, and remove the nails one by one, in a corner, then try to get flat bar under and pry.

You may have some luck if you use a heavy hammer and a board on the inside and try to knock the sheets of plywood loose from the inside.

It all depends on how well the plywood was fastened when first put on.

BA

5. petlove

Jan 27, 2008
    Skiatook, OK
    Quote:The boards are fastened tightly. What does a nail puller look like? I can probably just ask at Lowes. I have a maul (sp?) Thanks for the tips. Maybe my maul will be big enough to loosen the boards. Thanks.

6. petlove

Jan 27, 2008
    Skiatook, OK
    Quote:Thanks for the pics. I am determined to win over the nails. I will replace the plywood boards with screws.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by