1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Refusal to lay on wood chips

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JAZsMom, Jul 29, 2014.

1. JAZsMom

JAZsMom Chirping

May 29, 2014
    Damascus, MD
    So, my girls who started laying in late May/early June refused to lay on the wood chips, they kick them away and then lay. They're now in a new coop and again refuse to lay on the wood chips, I got this 'natural', softer stuff hoping thatll help, plan to try tomorrow. Has anyone dealt with this? Hens who won't lay on certain materials?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Most birds prefer a nesting materiel they can "arrange" around themselves as they prepare for the arrival of that day's egg - ie hay, straw, etc. While it is true that there are those who will just as happily drop their egg in a hole in the dirt, off the roost, on the coop floor, etc - that does not seem to be the case with your birds. It may also be that what you see as them "kicking it away" is their attempt to arrange the nest, but the nature of wood chips does not lend itself as well to that activity as longer/stemmy type nest filler as the chips fly away when dug at.

3. JAZsMom

JAZsMom Chirping

May 29, 2014
    Damascus, MD
    Nope, I dont think they like the wood chips...their first coop had one nest and they wouldnt lay in it, they chose the furthest corner, removed all chips and layed. Im going to try this new stuff, if they kick it over board, Ill try raising the edge of the nest.It really seems like they like to lay on an empty nest....which leads to the other question I posted...is she pecking her egg or it it cracking as its laid????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by